'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

June 28, 2014

Jeeves and the Wedding Bells



My reading is not as Wodehousian {an actual word, in the actual dictionary} as some of our blogging friends, but I've always enjoyed the Jeeves and Woosters that I've read or listened {and the Hugh Laurie/Stephen Fry series}.  I haven't read any of his other books, but they always sound like they're exactly what I want to read next.. 

As the book opens, Bertie is an English country house, but he's in an interesting situation, shall we say, and what, pray tell, has become of his gentleman's gentleman?  We find out soon enough, and that Bertie is where he is because he has (literally) fallen for a girl he met on the Cote d'Azur, but she's reluctantly engaged, and because he has lept to the aid of Woody Beacham, a childhood friend who wants to marry another girl who is reluctant to say yes.  Woody actually came to Jeeves for advice, but never mind.

I found myself waiting, just a little, for the moment that usually comes in the books when it looks as though Jeeves is going to let Bertie fall, then grabs him back just in time, leaving Bertie to agree to stop wearing yellow socks or trim his side whiskers in gratitude. There's something a little sweeter and more nostalgic (it seems to me) about this adventure, but I didn't mind. 

I've never read Sebastian Faulks {have you?}  In his introduction, he calls his novel am 'homage' to P.G.W., and says that he hopes his book will introduce a new generation of readers to the Wodehouse.  That's a little hard to imagine, somehow -- somehow these books seem like something you used to read, or have always read, and are happy to read again. But I hope he's right.  I'd recommend it! )


3 comments:

Cosy Books said...

Had this book in my hand on Friday while at the library. It tempts me every now and then but Wodehouse is just that teensy bit over the top for me, perhaps I would like this version better!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, Audrey!

JoAnn said...

I'm completely embarrassed to admit I've never read Wodehouse (although I have read Birdsong by Faulks) and am intrigued that Faulks has resurrected these classics characters!

Karen K. said...

Tempting, but I still have about five by Wodehouse on the TBR shelves already! Also Birdsong. . . I'm intrigued to see how he's resurrected Jeeves and Wooster.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson