— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

July 20, 2012

'I'm so sorry about your shoes,' I said akwardly.


   
  'Such a talented man,' Mary said, shifting in her chair. 'He has grown so popular I was fortunate to secure his services.' Her feet twinkled in the firelight, the silver embroidery on her richly colored slippers picking up hints of red, orange, and gold. I wondered idly who had designed the intricate pattern for the embroidery. Had I been closer, I would have asked to touch the stitches. Champier had been able to read my flesh with his fingers. Could an intimate object provide similar information?
     Though my fingers were nowhere near the countess's shoes, I saw the face if a young woman. She was peering at a sheet of paper with the design for Mary's shoes on it. Tiny holes along the lines of the drawings solved the mystery of how its intricacies had been transferred to leather. Focusing on the drawing, my mind's eye took several steps backward in time. Now I saw Mary sitting with a stern, stubborn-jawed man, a table full of insect and plant specimens before them. Both were talking with great animation about a grasshopper, and when the man began to describe it in detail, Mary took up its pen and sketched its outlines. 
      So Mary is interested in plants and insects, as well as alchemy, I thought, searching her shoes for the grasshopper. There it was, on the heel. So lifelike. And the bee on her right toe looked as though it might fly away at any moment. A faint buzzing sound filled my ears as the silver-and-black bee detached itself from the Countess of Pembroke's shoe and took to the air. 
      'Oh, no,' I gasped. 
      'What a strange bee,' Henry commented, swatting as it flew past. But I was looking instead at the snake that was slithering off Mary's foot and into the rushes. 'Matthew!' He shot forward and lifted the snake by the tail. It extended its forked tongue and hissed indignantly at the rough treatment. With a flick of his wrist, he tossed the snake into the fire, where it sizzled for a moment before catching light. 
      'I didn't mean...' I trailed off. 
      'It's all right, mon coeur. You cannot help it.' Matthew touched my cheek before he looked at the countess, who was staring down at her mismatching slippers. 'We need a witch, Mary. There is some urgency.'

from Shadow of Night, by Deborah Harkness

After discovering A Discovery of Witches last year, and liking it very much, in spite of my book-snobbish self, I was so excited when Viking Penguin so kindly offered me a preview of this (just-published) second book in the trilogy.  At the beginning, I found myself being very glad that I had read the first book first, because its modern setting, its mood (alternating between darkness and humor), and its supporting cast (the aunts) drew me in a little more than this one's.  But it's growing on me, and I'm determined to find enough time to finish it. It's just that this is a tough time (I'm moving on Monday) to be in the middle of two wonderful books, but I am not complaining! {So I'll be absent for a little while ... I hope you enjoy your snatches, or long spells, of reading, in the meantime, as much as I will!}

{I couldn't find a picture of shoes, though it was fun looking, but I did find this wonderful Elizabethan dress, here, which the Countess could buy to cheer herself up.}

3 comments:

whimsicaldesperation said...

I recently discovered A Discovery of Witches as well, with a similar reaction. I can't wait to hear more about its sequel!

Darlene said...

Haha! I know exactly what you mean about being book-snobbish but this does have an awfully intriguing quality about it. Love the accompanying photo as well, that's quite a dress!

Bellezza said...

Great. Now I have to read Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night. :)

Loved the accompanying photograph and passage you included in this post, and congratulations on scoring a copy of your own!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson