'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

May 30, 2012

'I've gone in for photography, and find it very absorbing'



Henry and I lie and gaze at each other. Wonder if life has anything in store for us. Swallow beef tea. Think it may have.

-- Clover Adams writing to her father (July, 1872)


I'm so relieved.  I almost missed this {I thought it was on till the end of June, but it closes this Saturday), but I found the newspaper clipping about it just in time.

After reading Natalie Dysktra's sad but excellent book about her earlier this year, I had rekindled my interest in Clover Adams, the woman married to historian and novelist Henry Adams. Among her other pursuits, Clover was a gifted photographer early photographer, and the Massachusetts Historical Society has put together a small but enchanting exhibit of letters, photo albums, notebooks, and prints.  It was very moving to follow her story again, but also to see her prints, carefully pasted into albums, some letters in her own hand and in Henry's, and the notebook (mentioned in the biography) where she recorded her experiments with light, exposures and subjects. 

If you're interested in seeing some of the materials, there's an excellent companion web site here.

My only wonder is whether I would have managed to get more out of twelve years than we got; and if we really succeeded in being as happy as was possible. I have no more to say. The world may come and the world may go; but no power yet known in earth or heaven can annihilate the happiness that is past.
-- Henry Adams to a family friend, January 1886


1 comment:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

These are beautiful! I'd love to read more about Clover Adams :)

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson