'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

August 6, 2011

Sad that I didn't notice it, happy that now I have



I've just started {happily, finally} reading Wives and Daughters, and as I was looking for a cover image from my {new, replacing the older paperback with the tiny print) Vintage Gaskell edition, I came across this, from the illustrator's web site:


Her name is Linda Florence, and she also did the cover art for my Vintage Gaskell edition of Cranford.



They're stunning. Some of us are so good at noticing and appreciating book covers; this lapse has inspired me to do that more.

6 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I've been meaning to read Wives and Daughters for quite some time now. In a crazy state of packing things up for an eventual move, so maybe I need to dig it out. I love the creative and artistic ways that book covers are represented. I will admit that I am swayed by that sometimes...

FleurFisher said...

I really want to read Wives and daughters, but as I have read two Gaskells this year already and there aren't so many left I'm going to wait a while. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts, and I love those Vintage covers.

JoAnn said...

Just beautiful! I'm hoping to read Cranford in the fall...

Karen K. said...

I just read North and South a couple of weeks ago, I specifically ordered the Vintage version because I loved the cover (and the introduction by Jenny Uglow).

I don't have the Vintage edition of Wives & Daughters because I wanted the older Penguin version (2001 Masterpiece tie-in). The cover art is "Waiting" by John Everett Millais and it's just beautiful, I was lucky enough to see the original at the Smithsonian last year. The newest Penguin editions of Gaskell are really boring.

Shelley said...

Love this Cranford Chronicles cover. When I read Cranford I had bought a used copy that only included "Cranford", and I assume this has the other two novellas?
I bought the Vintage edition for North and South just because I loved the cover! I have not read Wives and Daughters yet, but I've seen the miniseries.

Audrey said...

Hi, Shelley! Yes, it has 'My Lady Ludlow' and 'Mr. Harrison's Confessions.' I'm reading W&D now, and I think it has some (a lot) of the Cranford flavor. Enjoying it very much!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson