'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

February 12, 2011

Unexpectedly, comfort reading...



I'm not sure anyone (including me) would think of literary biography as comfort reading, but can I tell you how much I am enjoying reading about Eudora Welty? And how much I like knowing more about her?

During summers of the early thirties, the group gathered frequently at the Welty house to drink and talk and laugh and listen to music -- literature and the theater and the New York scene filled their conversations, and they loved hearing both classical music and jazz. They also engaged in activities that {her friend} Lehman eventually labeled 'camp.' When Jackson ladies, for instance, advertised that their night-blooming cereuses would be in flower on a given night and invited one and all to witness the annual bloomings, Eudora and her friends attended. They went on to name themselves the Night-Blooming Cereus Club and took as their motto a slightly altered line from a Rudy Vallee song:  'Don't take it cereus. Life's too mysterious.' Years later, in The Golden Apples, Eudora would use the 'naked, luminous, complicated flower' as an emblem of life's beauty and its fragility, and she would have a character repeat what one Jackson Lady had said about the cereus blossom, 'Tomorrow it'll look like a wrung chicken's neck.'
from Eudora Welty:  a biography, by Suzanne Marrs


I'm about a third of the way in, time enough to read about her childhood and college experiences, her time as a young woman in New York, her father's tragic death, her love and longing for an unattainable man, and her first trip to Europe, and the growing body of photography and fiction that she creates along the way.  But mostly it's wonderful to read about her. I met Miss Welty, just for a minute, when I was in college, when she came to the university art gallery for a ceremony honoring a new postage stamp with her picture on it. I haven't read her fiction in a while (now, I'm longing to).


I'm also enjoying Elizabeth Buchan's Separate Beds.  It's very good,  as I knew it would be, even though reading about a family in crisis, and a 50-year-old who may never find another job, is a little bit of a harder task than reading about Eudora.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .



2 comments:

Frances said...

I can totally buy into literary biography as comfort read! Book geek voyeurism on one level, added insights into an author's work on another. And Eudora Welty is definitely an author I have been thinking about reading lately. All springing from a conversation about regional literature.

Vintage Reading said...

I like that extract you posted. I do like a good literary biography. I've only read one Welty novel and I don't think I've got the measure of her yet - I need to read more.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson