'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

February 17, 2011

Places to read in


Good morning, and thanks for coming by. Isn't it terrible when moods or circumstances (both, I think) affect the pleasure we can take in books? I hate that.  I've been going through a little spell of book-crankiness, where through no fault of their own books that I've been looking forward to reading haven't been working for me. {Except for Miss Welty, and I've set her aside for only a week or so because library books were stacking up.} This never lasts long. I did like Separate Beds (Elizabeth Buchan's newest novel) very much, though I haven't had a chance to write about it. (Along with well-drawn characters, an unromantic love story that eventually is, and thoughtful language, it has an Aga, tea-rose curtains, and a lot of other domestic details.)

So, for once, it will almost as much fun to return books to the library today as to take them out. This is one of those going back, and after looking through it once more, it was nice to think that I would rather live in my rooms in the city than in any of these. I did like the quiet, exotic elegance of this corner (in a Paris apartment):


and the way books are the focus of this very comfortable room in New York:




{The second picture down is on the cover of the book, and it's what made me want to bring it home.} I love those half-height bookshelves used as a room divider, the ottoman/coffee table, and the idea of surrounding the dining room table with books.

{images from Rooms to Inspire in the City, by Annie Kelly}

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 


1 comment:

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

The first photo is so welcoming with all that natural light flowing in. I too like the half bookcase divider - it works really well in that room. Inspiration indeed!
I totally understand about mood dictating whether you enjoy a book or not. Conversely, quite often picking up the 'right' book helps to improve my mood.
By the way, I am holding a book giveaway over on my blog if you'd like to take a peek :-)

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson