'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

February 25, 2011

Persephone Reading Weekend: Introduction, no. 30




Persephone Reading Weekend is finally here!  {I wonder how many blog posts will start this way today.} I've already dipped into two of my three choices (you wouldn't have been able to resist either, really, you wouldn't).  It's grey, gloomy, rainy, pouring here, and I've ordered myself to spend most of day on cleaning, laundry and taxes, with more reading in these books only as a reward for any minor accomplishment on those fronts. :)

I love to find biographical or social-historical information about the books and authors I read, so I thought I'd do an introduction to each of my books, and then come back later with a (glowing, I know already) review. My first book is Kitchen Essays, by Agnes Jekyll; it was one of the only Persephones I could buy here (and only a P. Classic, at that), but it's vintage food writing, which I love, and that overcompensates.

After learning a little from the Persephone ladies ('Gertrude Jekyll's biographer remarked that if she 'was an artist-gardener, then Agnes was an artist-housekeeper.' Created DBE for her involvement in numerous good causes, Lady Jekyll (as she had also become) first published Kitchen Essays (1922) in The Times 'in which she was persuaded to pass on some of the wit and wisdom of her rare gift for clever and imaginative housekeeping.'), I couldn't find very much else about her online.  {But please underline wit:  she is very funny.} I did find something better, though:  a wonderful review (those calf-heads again) at Dovegreyreader Scribbles, a tea party with Cornflower, and a wonderful blog (new to me) all about vintage cookbooks.


More soon. I hope your Persephone reading will be as wonderful as mine is!

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

3 comments:

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

That's quite a vibtant end-paper - lovely. It seems that you're well into the swing of all things Persephone :-)
I'm busy with the review of my first P. book for the weekend and will then start another.
Happy Persephone Reading!

Karenlibrarian said...

I really enjoyed this book and hope to read all the Persephone cookery books -- did you know that Good Things In England by Florence White (Persephone #10) s being published as another Persephone Classic this spring? Amazon lists it as publishing in June. (Also #7, The Home-Maker).

Paperback Reader said...

Looking forward to reading more about your vintage cookbook reading!


Thank you for joining us for Persephone Reading Weekend! Enjoy.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson