'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

February 27, 2011

Persephone Reading Weekend, and a thank-you note






Persephone Reading Weekend -- sure to become my favorite long holiday weekend, now and forever -- is almost over (see below). Thank you (and congratulations!) to Claire and Verity, who put it together and brought us (so many of us!) together. 

I still have a small part of each of my Persephones (no. 30 and no. 32) to finish, and I like ending the weekend that way. I don't want either book to end, and I definitely, certainly don't want to rush either one. I did spend most of today reading most of The Carlyles at Home,  and I'm just as smitten as I was with Kitchen Essays.  What I've been noticing from reading about everyone else's reading this weekend is that the Persephone catalog has an incredibly wide range of books, and in a way this one is an incredibly wide range of books in itself. You could read it for literary biography, for 19th-century social or cultural history, for a depiction of domestic practices (albeit ones that skirted what was normal), for information on medical treatments or house-building or fashion or extermination, for another argument about the limited opportunities for Victorian women, or just to smile every two paragraphs or so. I hope your reading has been as perfect for you. {But it does make me wonder...are there other biographies that focus on domestic details? If so, I want to read them, whomever they're about.)

The weekend isn't quite over yet...I had planned all sorts of baking and quiet domestic ritual to go along with my choice of books, but instead I'm looking forward to a cup of tea, some laundry-folding, a scratch dinner of truly excellent leftovers ('In the Cook's Absence'? 'Old Friends with New Faces'? 'Tray Food?' 'For the Too Fat'?) and some more reading...until 8:00, when I will turn from good books to as many sightings of Colin Firth as are humanly possible.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

2 comments:

Paperback Reader said...

It was a pleasure, Audrey; thank you for participating.

The Persephone catalogue is definitely diverse and you have highlighted that in your choices this weekend.

Enjoy the delectable Colin Firth tonight.

Rose said...

Hear hear to Colin Firth - what a hero. Wish he'd won for A Single Man, but King's Speech wasn't bad either, was it?

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson