'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

October 16, 2010

Home


'I’ve done a lot of travel writing, and people like to ask me where I would go if I could go anyplace. My answer is always the same: I would go home. ...
I’ve heard it too many times to think it could be otherwise: the house calms people down. It’s quiet, there are a lot of books, and the dog, who is a few months shy of 15, discourages too much activity. To make a generalization, our guests tend to sleep late and take naps. ...

Maybe Rose has it figured out. Who needs to go anywhere? Home, once you find it, presents an inexhaustible set of wonders, a world that isn’t very wide but is endlessly deep.
I think of Eudora Welty who, at age 16, moved into the house where she would live until she was 92. She wrote her short stories at the desk in her bedroom. I write my novels in the bedroom across the hall from where we sleep. Home is then the stable window that opens out into the imagination.'
-- Ann Patchett, writing in the New York Times (10.14.10)

{photograph from Country Living magazine, via Braeburne Farm}

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

2 comments:

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

A perfect Saturday read, especially the final line. Is that why we like weekends so much as we get to be in our home? It's also made me like Ann Patchett even more.

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I couldn't agree with you more; home is my favorite place to be. (That chair looks pretty comfy for reading as well).

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson