'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

August 22, 2010

Sunday Reading: Queen Victoria, Mrs. Astor and Emily Dickinson

Rain. Maybe even torrential rain. I hope no one else's plans are ruined, but I wouldn't mind, because I so want to spend this afternoon reading.

I'm about halfway through reading (and greatly enjoying, and looking forward to sinking back into) Becoming Queen Victoria, a new biography/history (that's where it was shelved in the bookstore) focusing on Princess Charlotte (the Prince Regent's daughter and his presumed heir) and the story behind how Victoria came to be Queen. {If you're interested in this book at all, you can listen to an author interview here. These podcasts are very well done, even if they dangle books in front of me that I can't easily get my hands on...}

Two more biographies -- Greg King's A Season of Splendor:  The Court of Mrs. Astor in Gilded Age New York and Lyndall Gordon's Lives Like Loaded Guns: Emily Dickinson and Her Family's Feuds -- are waiting for me at the library. That's a little disappointing, because I've been looking forward to reading both of them and I might not be able to get to them in the time allowed.  That's because I found out last week that the shape of my September is going to be much different than I expected, so I'm juggling my reading plans a little. So I'm thinking that Emma, and Persuasion, and the rest of the Edith Wharton biography I started, and the House of Mirth, might all wait until then, letting me focus on at least one of those library books in the meantime. Actually, that would work out very well...

I hope you enjoy your Sunday reading as much as I will!

1 comment:

Vintage Reading said...

I loved the ED biography and would highly recommend it - if you can fit it into your schedule!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson