'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

August 15, 2010

Sunday reading: Brave Edith

'The only reason assigned for the breaking of the engagement hitherto existing between Harry Stevens and Miss Edith Jones is an alleged preponderance of intellectuality on the part of the intended bride. Miss Jones is an ambitious authoress, and it is said that, in the eyes of Mr. Stevens, ambition is a grievous fault.'

-- The Newport Daily News  (1882), quoted in Edith Wharton: 
A Biography
, by R.W.B Lewis

Oh, Edith...There are other books that I want to read before I immerse myself again in Edith Wharton, but since I'm still hoping to take a trip out to The Mount in Lenox I thought I would see if I could re-read enough of this biography to take me up to the time when she built her home there. Happily, that was about 120 pages, so I could. (She has just started discussing architectural plans.) I found my receipt for this book tucked away in the back (March, 1980), and my copy is signed by Mr. Lewis (my professor in college), so the re-reading has other special pleasures. But what has struck me most is being reminded of how difficult her childhood and adolescence were; it's a very moving story, and a reminder that a life of privilege isn't always that. (I also didn't realize, or didn't remember, that Edith was very closely related to Mrs. Astor -- she was a first cousin of EW's father.)

I was very happy to see from my book browsing that there's a new and well-reviewed biography of EW written for children (or teenagers). ('I like to picture girls lying on the beach reading this appealing book and receiving its secret message: stop i-chatting and posting on people’s walls — it’s time to write your first novel!') When I was in elementary school, the school library had a shelf of children's biographies that I raced through, in competition with a girl one grade older than I was). I'm sure that reading these books fueled my love of reading, and probably of reading biographies. I've put it on library reserve so I can take a look.

I've been happily sidetracked from Edith and Emma (with a little Georgette Heyer on the side) because my library copy of Becoming Queen Victoria, by Kate Williams, came in sooner than expected, and I can only keep it for two weeks.  QV is another historical figure who unaccountably fascinates me, and I haven't read very much about the circumstances leading up to her becoming queen. Very, very good stuff. I'm finding that I like having a reading plan, especially if I'm not required to stick to it.

I hope you're looking forwarding to your Sunday reading as much as I am.

No comments:

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson