'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

December 29, 2016

In love with this book already...


Of the novel the Daily Mail critic wrote, 'It is quite on the cards that before long Winifred Peck will qualify as a modern Anthony Trollope' and indeed Camilla and Arthur are clearly well acquainted with the 'Chronicles of Barsetshire', casually referring to Trollopeian characters. Camilla Lacely is also devoted to Charlotte Yonge, E.M. Delafield, Winifred Holtby, Dorothy Whipple and Angela Thirkell, although for Lent she has been 'trying to do without a library subscription'.  However there is little time for reading, except during meals.
And I'm only halfway through the introduction. :)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I see five names in that paragraph that make me want to read this book :)

thecaptivereader.com said...

Everything I hear about this book makes me keen to read it!

Audrey said...

I think you'd both love it! I'm further into it now and it's reminding me of Angela Thirkell and Miss Buncle. Bliss!

JoAnn said...

I just had a sample sent to my kindle... not sure I'll be able to resist tis one!!

Jane @ Beyond Eden Rock said...

Now that sounds perfect!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson