'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

December 26, 2016

2016's best


I know there's almost a whole week of reading left in this year, but I'm going to go out on a literary limb and guess that the library books I still have stacked up will be enjoyable but might not surpass these.  But then again, the wonderful thing about the books below is that even though I expected I'd like them, I was surprised again and again by how much I did ... and, for me, what a gift that is.

Looking back, it was a very good year for nonfiction ...


 and for fiction...



and for mysteries {though the mysteries I read by the dozens never seem to stand out from each other as much},..


But one mystery, with very engaging characters I hope to meet again, became even more gripping as an audiobook. And an audiobook with recipes?  It works.  And although Laurie Colwin is wonderful anytime, I started listening to Home Cooking when I especially needed comfort, and it's been perfect. :)

I'm looking forward to your lists, if you have them, and to more wonderful reading with you.


3 comments:

JoAnn said...

I've read a few of these and loved them - The Big House, Mrs. Dalloway, and They May Not Mean To But They Do. Hopefully I'll discover Margery Sharp in 2017 (the beginning of The Nutmeg Tree is delightful) and I've added Night and Day to my list, too. Laurie Colwin is wonderful in print and I'm sure the audio is fabulous! I'm hoping Trollope makes a return to my list in 2017.

Happy New Year, Audrey!

Cosy Books said...

Mrs Dalloway was a highlight of my reading year as well, Audrey. I'm also looking forward to reading The Button Box...but first I need to find a copy. Hope you're having a wonderful Christmas holiday!

thecaptivereader.com said...

Looks like a good reading year to me! Here's hoping 2017 yields just as many great books.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson