November 7, 2016

Finding ...



      'People are different,' she said. 'They differ even in their mad ideas, Smith.' She took her hand off him, and he felt the patch of himself where the contact had been cooling, painfully, towards solitude. Tabitha hugged both her arms around herself, and lowered her chin into her scarf. 'I find the idea of stepping off the edge of the world ... terrifying,' she said. 'Going flailing down into empty space.'
      'It is worst the first time you do it,' he said. 'Then you find that you can find your way. You find that there is enough in you, to manage.'

From Golden Hill, by Francis Spufford

{The painting is A Dark Pool, by Laura Knight, found here.}

3 comments:

Jane @ Beyond Eden Rock said...

You are tempting me to give this book a second chance. And, I wonder, did you know that those rocks are just a few miles around the coast from me?

Audrey said...

No, but I love that they are! His writing is very lush, in a quirky way, and the relationship between Smith and Tabitha is delightful...so I'm enjoying it very much.

Bellezza said...

The picture alone is so mesmerizing, and then the accompanying quote! I suppose we fling ourselves into empty space every day, in one way or another. So much is unknown, so much feels ungrounded. I loved this post.