'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

July 9, 2016

New and novel...



I'm so glad I was able to walk over to the BPL today, for the grand re-opening of its newer {1970s} half after several years of renovations. Although it's a wonderful library, this section always seemed kind of utilitarian and a little worn at the edges, a great place to find a book but not somewhere to linger.

Before the renovations began, the new building was where I'd always go to return books, look for new ones, pick up a book on reserve, or go to an event. I have wandered out here...


but not often enough. So, for me, one of the best things about the renovation process was that I finally -- finally! -- spent time in the beautiful, historic, older {1895} building.

I think I'd made one or two touristy walks through it in all the time I've lived here, but over the past year I've been wending my way over to the biographies and cookbooks by starting here...


Can you imagine? I'm promising myself that I still will, at least sometimes. :)  And while I've always be drawn most strongly to the rooms that I've just rediscovered ...


they've done a stunning job with the new, bright, tech-y spaces...



and there's something especially wonderful about having both.  :)



2 comments:

Terra Hangen said...

They did a beautiful job of modernizing and keeping the old. I love the light, the windows, the sculpture in the old building and would happily spend time there. Thanks for showing us.

JoAnn said...

What a beautiful renovation project! Will definitely stop in the next time I'm in Boston. It's been too long...

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson