'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

November 5, 2015

Only connect: Antonia Fraser and Christine Longford and Flora Fraser and Elizabeth Longford





This is something I started wondering about on the bus ride home. I'm currently reading, and greatly enjoying, My History:  a memoir of growing up, by historian and mystery writer Antonia Fraser (a.k.a. Lady Antonia Margaret Caroline Pakenham), who mentions that she is the niece (by marriage) of Christine Longford (a.k.a Christine, Countess of Longford), who wrote Making Conversation, one of the Persephones on my someday list. And, as it turns out. she's the mother of Flora Fraser, who wrote a book about the daughters of George III that I bought (but haven't read yet) after I read this one, and the new book about George and Martha Washington that I just brought home from the library and hope I'll have time to read next.  And then there's Elizabeth, Antonia's mother, who became Countess of Longford when her husband and Antonia's father and Flora's grandfather Francis Aungier Pakenham became the 7th Earl of Longford upon the death of his brother Edward, husband of Christine. As Elizabeth Longford, she wrote biographies and a memoir, The Pebbled Shore, which I've now also put on my list after meeting her in her daughter's book. This is the kind of thing I love: when  my books are related. :)






4 comments:

Lisa said...

You've just added at least four books to my reading list!

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

My TBR list grew enormously when I read this! I'm still most eager to read The Pebbled Shore, because Elizabeth Longford sounds quite marvellous and fascinating. I borrowed it from the library months ago but never got around to reading it - one day! Also, in last week's Financial Times there was a review of a book (The Company of Trees) by Antonia Fraser's brother, Thomas Pakenham. And Rachel Billington, author of one of the worst Austen sequels ever written (Perfect Happiness) is another of Antonia's siblings. They are an inescapable family!

Audrey said...

She does, doesn't she? And Antonia's 'Irish twin' Thomas and little sister Rachel {they're all still children in the memoir so far}also turned out to writers? I've heard of Rachel Billington but didn't know about the connection (or the awful book, which I am of course now tempted to read...) Thanks for introducing me to all of them, Claire!

Vintage Reading said...

Gosh I didn't know of all those connections. I'd quite like to read My History, I heard Fraser talking on the radio about it, thanks for the reminder.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson