'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

November 10, 2015

One more (because I couldn't resist...)




      Then there was the question of her annual birthday present, a dress which he duly bought without her, and then watched proudly as she tried it on. The trouble was that the dress was nearly always too large for Elizabeth, never very tall, and like everyone else she becoming smaller with age. And one year, the year of the Giant Red Dress, it was truly enormous. Out of curiousity, I asked my father how he chose the dresses, 'I go into that shop on the King's Road, and ask for a dress from the nearest girl I see. When she asks, 'What size?' I always answer:  ' 'Your size.' And it always works.' He paused. Even Frank had noticed the overwhelming size of the Giant Red Dress. 'The trouble was that the girl in the shop this year was rather a fattie.' Frank gave his sweet smile. 'But it would have been unkind not to give the same answer.'
from My History:  a memoir of growing up, by Antonia Fraser

OK, I know. But remembering (bittersweetly, now) that my Dad always sincerely tried, but still we could see that the present he chose wasn't always quite right. And thinking of him with love, and reading this, and ending the day with much more of a smile than I started it with. :)



3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Lovely image, quote, and memory!

Cosy Books said...

Okay, you've well and truly tempted me. Just whipped over to my library's catalogue and placed a hold....sadness is being ninth in the queue and only one circulation copy.

Terra said...

The man meant well even if the size was not ever quite right. Sweet intentions.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson