'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

October 31, 2015

The birds and the bees



      Aged eleven, I had discovered Trollope in a huge green-and-gold edition in my parents' house. (I learnt later that there was a lot of wartime Trollope reading among the grown-ups 'to get away from the war.') Thus I was temporarily obsessed by the character of Lady Glencora Palliser in Can You Forgive Her?  The tiny, tousle-haired heiress and her fatal love for the wastrel Burgo Fitzgerald occupied most of my waking thoughts. I was however baffled by one significant development in the plot.  We all knew that Lady Glencora must dutifully provide an heir for her husband Plantagenet Palliser, himself the heir to the Duke of Omnium, because that was what the Duke requested. I turned to Felicity Wilding, slightly older than me, for help.
      'When Glencora says with a blush that she's not quite sure, she thinks, maybe ... I mean, how can she not know whether she's having a baby? Either they did it, in which case she's having a baby. Or they didn't, in which case she isn't.'
      'Oh, no,' said Felicity in a world-weary voice. 'You don't understand. Grown-ups do it all the time.'
      I was stunned and fell into incredulous silence. Nothing in the frequent appearance of babies in these years at 8 Chadlington Road had prepared me for such a — frankly embarrassing — revelation. ...
      At the time I turned away from Felicity and went back to the safety of the written word and Trollope's political Pallisers. Instinctively, I much preferred them to the then fashionable Anglican bishops, bishops' wives and deans of Barchester. I was determined to ignore any possible connection with reality and stick with the lot of them. Phineas Finn, Lady Eustace, Laura Standish, Madame Max Goesler and so forth. ignoring anything unpleasant that might disturb me in my rapt contemplation of their fascinating social fortunes.
      It was probably a long way from what [her headmaster] Hum thought a She Dragon should be thinking about. What would that be?  Something to do with the Classical World, no doubt. But at this point, in my imagination, Lady Glencora was a great deal more interesting than Helen of Troy because she was my private heroine... For the time being, it was she who accompanied me as I walked moodily on the banks of the Cherwell, flowing past the playing fields and the school barge.

from My History:  a memoir of growing up, by Antonia Fraser


(The painting is by Janet Hill.}

6 comments:

Jane @ Beyond Eden Rock said...

Wonderful! Another book for my wishlist, and a lovely reminder of my first Trollope.

Audrey said...

Hi, Jane,
I learned about this book from Claire at Captive Reader and I'm greatly enjoying it. I think you would too!

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Isn't it a wonderful book! I also love when she mentions her daydreams about Georgette Heyer heroes getting her through her mother's campaign speeches.

Audrey said...

Hi, Claire...
She has a wonderful voice! Now I'm devoutedly wishing I had been reading Heyer and Trollope when I was as young. :)

JoAnn said...

Oh, this is wonderful... and charming and funny. And it makes me want to read the Pallisers even more!

Terra said...

I would like to read My History, and pleased to hear she writes a bit about Trollope.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson