'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

August 18, 2015

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street



If you had asked me if I'd like to read a new novel about a telegraphist working in Victorian London, I might have said, 'Sure.' {Historical fiction has been growing on me, especially historical mysteries.}  If you asked me whether I liked the first few pages, I would have said 'Oh yes!' {And so I did.} If you were a gentlemanly Japanese watchmaker, and quietly told me that I would soon finish this book and know it would be one of my favorite books for this year, I would have smiled wanly and asked you if you would like some tea so I wouldn't have to contradict you. And then it would have been just like the green dress and the man with the dog and the waiter who drops the tea tray.

I was just thinking about the book I read before this one, and all the ways I wanted it to be better, and then thinking that Natasha Pulley did all those things. She let us follow just one plot line, without knowing where it would go, and she focused on just three characters so they weren't so overcrowded.  She painted London and the places in it instead of telling me everything she knew about them. She asked us to suspend disbelief, but in ways that seemed believable {a contradiction, I know}. Her writing was often lovely (or funny, or both) and at times, a sentence or an observed moment gave me a little flutter.

...Mori watched him look, not for long, then pulled his hand back and folded his arms. It was a lonely thing to do, Thaniel thought. He wanted to ask what the matter was, but he saw Mori's shoulders stiffen at the approach of that future, then ease again when he stopped intending it.
      'Lord Carrow is outside our house,' he said. Thaniel sighed, because he had forgotten about grace and he was tired now, and not keen to argue with a man he didn't know. Mori didn't look at him, but his nearer shoulder eased back, like an opening door so that they could speak from adjoining rooms. 'You needn't do it.'
      Thaniel shook his head. 'I think it's a bit late for that.'

And though she did put in some real historical figures, two of them were Gilbert & Sullivan, which for me is almost as great as their being Henry James.


In the end what I loved most about this book was just that I simply enjoyed reading it...which for me is really what matters, however we find it. :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You've really made me want to read this book now - though I may have to get it through inter-library loan, and it won't be eligible to borrow for a while, drat it.

Jane @ Beyond Eden Rock said...

I'm so glad that you loved this too.

Terra said...

This post makes me want to read this book. I do love historical fiction about Victorian London and this author sounds very talented.

Cosy Books said...

My hold came in today and the first few lines made me want to dig in straight away! But, I've just handed out copies of 'Fingersmith' for another read-along with colleagues and then there's R.I.P....sigh. I'll have to find a window, Audrey.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson