'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

August 16, 2015

The Fifth Heart




I can't delay leaving tomorrow, thought James. If I stay, I'll never see the end of these conspiracies or complications. ... I've been caught up in one of the romantic-adventure novels I so despise... — and the only way I can escape is to walk away from everything I've seen and heard today, everything I've seen and heard the last few weeks since the Seine. That way lies reality. Or at least literature.

This book wins, hands-down, my award for the very best not-very-good book of the year.

I think I probably squealed out loud when I first heard (wherever that was) that someone had written a novel connecting Henry James and Clover Adams.  I love reading about Henry (as you probably know) and I've been fascinated by Clover Adams ever since I first read about her in college. {We were reading The Education of Henry Adams in a literature seminar and reading her story was much more interesting ...}

The meandering, overfilled, at times downright silly plot has two major lines:  an investigation into whether Clover's death was a murder, not a suicide, and an effort to foil a plot to kill world leaders across the globe, beginning with President Grover Cleveland, who is in Chicago to open the  Chicago World's Fair in 1893.  The twist is that the book opens as Henry, approaching his dreaded 50th birthday and in despair over his lack of literary success, travels to Paris to throw himself into the Seine, and is rescued by Sherlock Holmes, who draws our Henry into both stories. And Dan Simmons let Henry climb out onto some rafters in an abandoned chicken-plucking factory to spy on a meeting of the anarchist plotters, which counts for a lot.

I listened to this off and on for a month and I lost the plot a few times along the way... and by the epilogue, as Henry is finally sailing back to England, I wanted to say 'enough already!'  I do think this would have been a better book if it had been shorter and more restrained in its name-dropping and historical-detail dropping, but then it wouldn't have been as much fun. It sent me running to the Internet to see what the White City {temporarily erected for the fair} looked like, and to the library for a book of Henry's short stories so I could read one that was mentioned in a tangent.  Definitely a guilty pleasure, but with Henry, Clover and a couple of tangents, I was very happy to spend time with it.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

I just started reading The Education of Henry Adams last night. I happened to find a copy of it and Mont Saint Michel and Chartres, after reading one of your posts. I knew a little about him, but nothing about Clover. I think I will skip this book though. Including Sherlock Holmes as a character would be a bit much for me.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson