August 2, 2015

Only connect: Henry James and John Singer Sargent



They seem to chop the sentences out of themselves, with great preliminary spouting, as of whales. And when you meet them at dinner, you felt an embarrassment about both of them, as if they'd never been out of an evening. And they went out every night.
I'm just back from our Museum of Fine Arts, giving myself the treat of seeing 'Yours Sincerely, John S. Sargent,' their new exhibit of letters, sketches, paintings and studio props from their new John Singer Sargent archives, But a Henry spotting was an unexpected treat. {I remember that they were friends, in part because  this portrait of Henry is hanging in an exhibit, 'Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends,' at the Met. I'm still hoping to see it.. Frances has!}

I couldn't resist scribbling down these lines, written by British writer and artist Max Beerbohm,who drew this portrait of Sargent for Vanity Fair in 1909.




1 comment:

JoAnn said...

I'll need to see 'Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends,' next time I'm at at the Met (hopefully in September), but it's been far too long since I've been to Boston and the Museum of Fine Arts. Sigh.