April 19, 2015

Reading, if not blogging...


Just dropping in, after realizing that I haven't really been here for two weeks {except to see what you've been writing about, via my sidebar...:) } But I have been reading, which has been nice!

I finished Barchester Towers last weekend, loved, loved loved it, and felt a little bereft at leaving those characters behind. {I know some of them will reappear in later books, though.}  I want to write something interesting about it, but I just haven't figured out what.

As sometimes happens, the books I put on reserve at the library over months, all seemed to come at the same time, and I have more of them than I can possibly read in the next 2-3 weeks.  It will be fun to try, though!

I finished the first of them this morning: Hissing Cousins: The Untold Story of Eleanor Roosevelt and Alice Roosevelt Longworth, by Timothy Dwyer and Marc Peyser.  I've read several books about Eleanor Roosevelt and/or her marriage to FDR, and watching the Ken Burns film told me a lot that I didn't know (or didn't remember) about her and about other the members of the Roosevelt family. It was a lot of fun to read about Alice Roosevelt Longworth {Teddy Roosevelt's irrepressible daughter}, but the 'untold story' aspect of this book, and the sometimes snarky editorial asides didn't work all that well for me. {And this might be petty, or might be because I wasn't enjoying this book as much as I had hoped to, but there was a factual mistake early in the book -- a house set near the wrong river -- that niggled at me. :) }

And here are the others...



{Have you read any of them, or are you planning to?} I haven't decided which one to pick up next, and which one I might save for the bus (Emma, probably}. It's turning out to be a nicer weekend than it was supposed to be, but I'm looking forward to more reading today, and it will be cold and rainy tomorrow on my day off, which is wonderful. {For me, anyway.  It's Patriots Day, and I have promised myself that while I have a front-row see to the Marathon — it passes right in front of my windows about half a mile from the finish line — I will enjoy that privilege to the fullest.  I hope it's OK for the runners, though — better than heat, at least, right?}

And one more... I meant to read The Enchanted April, in April, last April, after realizing that I loved the movie but had never read the book.  I've just started listening to it, but with the JoAnn-inspired, very addictive listening-reading set up on my Kindle.

I hope you're having a great weekend, with a great book or two...

9 comments:

Lory said...

I'm a bit ahead in #6barsets, just posted my review of Doctor Thorne. I read Picnic in Provence not long ago and enjoyed it; Gwendolen is also on my list. You make me want to reread The Enchanted April as well -- what is listening-reading? Listening to an audiobook while reading along?

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I'm reading Picnic in Provence right now and loving it just as much as I adored Lunch in Paris. I've also got Victoria Glendinning's Anthony Trollope biography on the go, so no shortage of excellent reading material here!

Audrey said...

Kindred spirits! Claire, I loved Lunch in Paris, too, so I'm so glad the new book is one to look forward to! And I think you'll love the biography. Lory, JoAnn introduced me to the fact that you can sync up an audiobook with an ebook (on a Kindle) so you can switch back and forth between the two, which is wonderful in itself. On my Kindle Fire, there's even way to listen to the audiobook and see the words that are being spoken highlighted in the text as it moves along. It's kind of silly but it's also kind of addictive.

JoAnn said...

Now is the perfect time for The Enchanted April! Such a wonderful book... wonder if I can sneak in a reread before the end of the month.

I, too, am missing the Barchester Towers characters and wondering which ones we will meet again. No BT post yet for me either... seems when I love a book, all I can do is gush. No possibility of intelligent thoughts or discussion. Hope to come up with something before the end of the month though.

Cosy Books said...

Hissing Cousins...oh, that's a fabulous title.

On the ottoman I have a copy of Ali Smith's 'How to be both' for a walking book club meeting while I'm in London and 'Murder on the Home Front' just because. The April edition of Town & Country magazine is calling though...

Hope the sun is shining for Patriots Day, Audrey!

Bellezza Mjs said...

I'm hoping to get to The Dream Lover as well, although when that might be I can't say. I've been so busy with the Independent Foreign Fiction Prize, and now my read-along to begin in May for Little, Big, that I'm feeling rather overcome. But, I guess that's just the nature of being a voracious reader, is it not? xo

o said...

I love Enchanted April - film and the book!

Glad you enjoyed Barchester Towers - I hated it when I first read it, but the second time around I loved it! :)

Sunday Taylor said...

I must go back and reread Barchester Towers after hearing your words of praise and some others. I know I will love it. I just bought "Emma" when I was in New York, which looks promising. And yes, do read The Enchanted April. It is one of my favorite books, especially for right now. And thanks so much for letting us know about the Barbara Pym article in the New Yorker. It was wonderful. The description of the conference is classic Pym!

Terra said...

I am reading Dr. Thorne now and love it as much as The Warden and the second book. When I read it, I am not aware of time passing, it is so engaging. I don't have any of the four books pictured on my TBR list.