'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

January 3, 2015

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust




The library was probably the only room at Miss Bodycote's where one could be alone without being accused of being up to no good. I could see through the many-paned glass doors that no one was inside.
      As I let myself in, my nostrils were filled with musty but pleasant air, as if the books themselves were breathing in their sleep in the unventilated room. I made for the small fiction section and began scanning the shelves. ...
      None of the books were in alphabetical order, which made it necessary to cock my head sideways to read each one of the spines. By the end of the third shelf I had begun to realize why librarians are sometimes able to achieve such pinnacles of crankiness.  It's because they're in agony.
      If only publishers could be persuaded, I thought, to stamp all book titles horizontally instead of vertically, a great deal of unpleasantness could be avoided all around.Chiropractors and opticians would be out of business, librarians cheerier, and the world would be a better place. I must remember to discuss this theory with Dogger.
      Here, on a shelf near the bottom, was Ben Hur, and over there was Angela Thirkell. They were what Daffy called 'nice novels,' with that look on her face. Except for a couple of blue-covered novels about  a person named Nancy Drew, which had been read to ribbons, most of the books appeared seldom to have been opened.
      Ha!  Just as I had hoped. Tales of Edgar Allan Poe.
      I slid it from the shelf. The illustrations were horrific -- so horrific that I felt as if a moist snail were crawling across the back of my neck, especially when I turned to 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' ...
      I tucked the book under my arm for bedtime reading.

Now, I vaguely remember.... after the last {thankfully, not the last}, excellent Flavia de Luce, our heroine has been sent off {'Banished!'' I shouted the word into the tearing wind...Somewhere, a thousand miles behind us over the eastern horizon, lay the village of Bishop's Lacey and Buckshaw, where my father, Colonel Haviland de Luce, and my sisters, Ophelia and Daphne, were most likely, at this very moment, getting on nicely with their lives as if I had never existed.'} to Miss Bodycote's Female Academy, her late mother's old school in Canada. As the book opens, our Flavia is crossing a storm-tossed ocean, and plotting how she can murder her temporary guardians, the odious Dr. and Mrs. Rainsmith, through the wonders of chemistry.  And as it unfolds, we learn that Miss Bodycote's is a little Hogwartsesque with a mercurial headmistress, missing schoolgirls, classmates who tell her to trust no one, a body in the chimney, and a celebrated accused murderess for a chemistry teacher.  And we remember that in addition to inheriting Buckshaw, the family home, Harriet has inherited a membership in a secret organization whose purpose is still not quite clear.  I might say that Flavia is a little more serious and philosophical, away from her sisters and her chemistry laboratory, maybe because she is surrounded by slightly less interesting characters. Or, because she is finally twelve, after being eleven. {Or it might be that I miss listening to these, instead of reading them on the page.}  If someone were new to the series, I might not have them start with this one   But all very good fun, as usual.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House for the chance to enjoy this latest one over the holiday week.  It is being published tomorrow.





2 comments:

Frances said...

I'm jealous! I've been so curious about this one as I am about all of them. I can't tell but I don't sense your regular enthusiasm for Flavia fun?

Audrey said...

Hi, Frances! I did definitely enjoy it but not quite as much as the ones set at Buckshaw. Still, it would be impossible not to like being around Flavia, wherever she is.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson