— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

November 28, 2014

Bookish things


I don't mean to sound dramatic, but when I turned on NPR in the car yesterday morning and heard a BBC reporter talking about P.D. James, my pleasure in that was brief because my second thought was that it couldn't be for a happy reason.  I have gotten so much joy-- reading joy and Masterpiece Mystery viewing joy-- from her novels, I have a long list of books and writers to explore after reading Talking About Detective Fiction, and from what I heard yesterday and remember reading in her memoir, she had a long, challenging, interesting life. I heard her speak many years ago, through a reading series organized by my wonderful then-neighborhood bookstore, and she was also charming and funny.  {I remember her story about asking a Harvard professor who she met to take her to a football game, and cheering enthusiastically for both teams.}

*   *   *   *   *   *   *

I also remember someone asking her at the reading what she thought of the TV adaptations, and her saying very graciously that Roy Marsden was very good as Adam Dalgliesh but that he was not her idea of Dalgleish. My other bookish thing this week was bringing home the Canadian TV adaptation of Louise Penny's first mystery, Still Life, from the library.  In the special features on the DVD, the author talked (also gracioualy) bout how wonderful and moving it was to be on set and to see her characters come to life, but non, non, non, non, Nathaniel Parker is not my Armand Gamache.  {I even cringed a little during one added moment (that can't have been in the book} when he is explaining to Clara Morrow {and is there a 'spark' between them in the books? I didn't think so) why he has a plummy English accent.} The actor who played the disastrous Agent Nichol did well -- she was a wonderful character in the book. I realize it would be hard to capture everything that Louise Penny has created in one 90-minute film, but I'd stick with the books. I was so curious about this when I heard it, so happy to find it in the library, and so content to send it back. :)



4 comments:

fleurfisher said...

A family friend died earlier this week, just before her 100th birthday, and it felt like the end of an era. I had the same feeling about PD James, for different reasons.

Remember that she was a governor of the BBC too - and the Dalgliesh adaptations, I seem to recall, were on the other side ....

Lisa said...

I knew she was in her 90s, but it was still a shock. I haven't looked for any of the Dalgliesh adaptations, in part because the actor is so far from the way the character is described in the books. I was sorry to read in P.D. James' autobiography that she had to stop writing the Cordelia Grey stories after their TV adaptation, because she felt she had lost the character, and I was so sorry, because I really liked those books.

With the Louise Penny adaptations, I had the same problem with the casting - non et non! I was just wondering what had happened to the production. Was it ever shown in the US, do you know? A friend, less picky than I am (and a big fan of Nathaniel Parker), is very anxious to see it.

Vintage Reading said...

I've not read her books but I've seen her interviewed and yes, she was articulate and amusing. A sad loss.

Sunday Taylor said...

I was first introduced to her writing by the television adaptations of her books and then read her. She was a genius in the mystery genre and she will be greatly missed! So happy to have discovered your blog!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson