'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

October 27, 2014

Death Comes to Pemberley



When it comes to books like this, I think some are very well done, others are not quite as good, and in itself, Death Comes to Pemberley is probably not one of the best. But I don't mind at all. Of course one of the joys of reading faux-Jane is to see what the author does with her or her characters; I loved that P.D. James gives Wickham a job with the Eliots, and why she gets him fired. And more than that, I loved thinking that she could write a book like this just for fun, after a long life and a brilliant career, and give me even more reading pleasure than she has already. 

The Masterpiece Mystery adaptation is good, though, isn't it?  Are you watching it?  {After buying this book the minute it came out, and then 'saving' it for a long time, I finally pulled it off my bookshelf last week so I could have it read before it was aired.}

{Something else that was fun... in the new Deborah Crombie, as Duncan gets used to his sudden transfer, he asks Gemma to meet him in the cafe next to Persephone Books.  It's not clear whether either of them stop in.}

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I didn't feel any yen to read this one, or to watch it either . But I did enjoy PD James's book about an actual Regency era murder The Maul & The Pear Tree.

Audrey said...

Hi, Lisa,
Lucy Worsley drew on that book in The Art of the British Murder, which I'm reading now. I had heard of the PD James book when it came out but didn't know what it was about till now!

Fleur Fisher said...

I didn't read 'Death Comes to Pemberley' after seeing it get what is politely called a mixed reception, but I did like the dramatization.

Cosy Books said...

I really enjoyed the television adaptation...quite a bit more than I was expecting to actually. It showed up on youtube just after airing in Britain.
Persephone Books shows up as a locale in a book...that must have made you smile, Audrey!

JoAnn said...

I didn't read the book, but just realized I missed the first episode! Thought it started this Sunday 11/2. Will look for it online...

Bellezza Mjs said...

Of my friend, I was bored to death while watching it Sunday night. Normally I love Masterpiece, but somehow this did not speak to me. I wonder if I would have enjoyed the book better? Glad it worked for you; perhaps I was overly tired.

Audrey said...

Oh, I'm not so sure... the book wasn't a real page turner either... maybe it needed Colin Firth.

JaneGS said...

I like the term "faux-Jane"--that really does capture most Austenesque authorship. I never read any P.D. James, and this book sits unread on my shelf, and my recording of part 1 of the BBC version is still unwatched.

It sounds like you read it with an open mind and your review is charity itself. :)

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson