'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

July 10, 2014

That Part Was True



Because I have wonderful access to three different libraries, and because I am feeling rather highbrow in my reading at the moment (I am, after all, reading a history of the sofa) and because I am rash and overambitious in the stacks of books that I bring home from them :), I thought I would probably have to return this book {That Part Was True, by Deborah McKinlay} unread.  But then I decided that I could probably finish its 228 pages going back and forth on the bus, and then I remembered that there was food in it, and there it was, the Eiffel Tower on the cover, for Paris in July.  The first two things turned out to true, and delightful, even if the little bit of Paris was kind of silly.

It's all kind of sweet, if improbable.  The story begins with a letter from a British woman named Eve Petworth to Jackson Cooper, an American novelist who writes best-selling {perhaps kind of Spenser-ish) mystery novels.  Over the course of the letters and emails that follow, Eve and Jack share recipes and their deepest thoughts and yearnings (the improbable part), and even consider meeting in Paris, not for romance, but to eat.  Alongside {I liked  the fact that the story wasn't told entirely in letters}, the story focuses on each one's somewhat troubled life.  Jack is at the end of a second failed marriage, is having trouble wanting to write the next book, and '[sees] his fiftieth birthday coming at him like a freight train.' Eve's horrible, domineering mother has recently died, her horrible, domineering daughter is getting married, and she is beginning to realize that her beautifully-kept, comfortable home and her pantry shelves filled with homemade preserves do not nurture her or anyone else.

In the end, I liked this book just for what it was.  A little romance and a lot of cooking is always nice, the feeling that some parts didn't ring true didn't stop me from appreciating the moments that did, and the sense that the characters could be either under-developed or a little overwrought didn't stop me from curling up on the couch to finish the last 20 pages as soon as I got home.  It's funny, it wasn't so much that I wanted to know how the book would end as being sure that it couldn't possibly end in the most obvious/most trite way. It didn't ... but I think it would have been truer if it were about five paragraphs shorter. :)

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Ooh, what was in those last five paragraphs? This sounds like a delightful summer read.

Karen K. said...

I think I know what you mean about liking it because it wasn't entirely told in letters. I like epistolary fiction, but sometimes it seems so unreal because inevitably the letters or diary entries are so long and include entire conversations in great detail. I suppose I just expect too much, after all it is FICTION.

Lisa said...

I think I'll look for this at the library - but only after I find the book on the history of the sofa!! As soon as I read that, I thought, "I want that book!"

Audrey said...

Lisa - in case I was being too cute, and not saying what is was, it's The Age of Comfort (see sidebar?)

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson