'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

July 24, 2014

Paris in July: Edible French




Last week, entre le poire at le fromage, I discovered that Clotilde Dusoulier has written a new book, plein comme un oeuf with some of the food idioms she has collected in writing her blog. For each one, there’s a literal translation, a translation of the idiom, an explanation of the history behind the French phrase, a sentence using the phrase, and a pretty watercolor. And once in a while, a recipe.  This little book is absolutely charming! If you ever find yourself feeling that life is long comme un jour sans pain, spend some time with this book, and you may find that you feel comme un coq en pâte instead. I would never raconte des salades.

J’ai fait mon miel out of getting an early look at Edible French on Netgalley {merci beaucoup}. For now, faute de grives, on mange des merles; this lovely book will be published in October by Penguin Group/Tarcher.

{So you won’t changer de crémerie {change creameries}, all I meant to say was that between the pear and the cheese, I found a book full as an egg with wonderful things, and that when life is long like a day without bread, reading this book might make you feel like a rooster in dough. I would never tell you a salad.  Oh, and that I made my honey out of finding this book on Netgalley, and that, for lack of thrushes, we only need to eat blackbirds for a little while longer. Oui?}

3 comments:

Cosy Books said...

Charming, indeed! I love books like this but they are all too rare. Thanks for making me glad of my high school French just now, Audrey!

Bellezza said...

I loved reading her French phrases, but I'm even happier that you wrote a translation of them further down. What a wonderful book; I even loved the cover! This is something to remember for my dear mother at a future time when a present would be nice. Like tomorrow.

Lisa said...

Je m'excuse, because this isn't a comment on the book - but to let you know that I've nominated you as a Very Inspiring Blogger:
tbr313.blogspot.com/2014/07/inspiring-blogs-and-bloggers-or-vib.html

Thanks for inspiring me!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson