March 28, 2014

At least there'll be more time for reading...


Letter the First.
How often, in answer to my repeated intreaties that you would give my Daughter a regular detail of the Misfortunes and Adventures of your Life, have you said "No, my friend never will I comply with your request till I may be no longer in Danger of again experiencing such dreadful ones."
Surely that time is now at hand. You are this day 55. If a woman may ever be said to be in safety from the determined Perseverance of disagreeable Lovers ... surely it must be at such a time of Life.

from 'Love and Friendship,' by Jane Austen

 

3 comments:

Nan said...

love this! I've been in that 'safety' for quite a while now. :<))

Bellezza said...

At 53 years of age, I take great comfort in the fact that at 55 I will have 'earned' the right to be in safety...at least from disagreeable lovers. ;)

It's fun to read other thoughts of Austen's than what is typically found in her novels. Thanks for sharing.

Audrey said...

It's only been 5 days, but so far it does seem to be working...