— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

December 29, 2013

Some of my favorite books from this year...


Since I'm enjoying everyone else's end-of-year lists so much, I hope you'll like mine. :)


Biographies, memoirs, letters, history
Serving Victoria:  Life in the Royal Household, by Kate Hubbard {January}
Bertie:  a life of Edward VII, by Jane Ridley {June}
Clementine in the Kitchen, by Samuel Chamberlain {July}
Footprints in Paris:  a few streets, a few lives, by Gillian Tindall {July}
Eighty Days:  Nellie Bly amd Elizabeth Bisland's history-making race around the world, by Matthew Goodman {August}
Provence 1970, by Luke Barr {December}



Fiction
The house of mirth, by Edith Wharton {January}
Middlemarch, by George Eliot {March}
The view from Penthouse B, by Elinor Lipman {May}
Jane and Prudence, by Barbara Pym {June}
Some Tame Gazelle, by Barbara Pym {June}
The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton {September}
Longbourn, by Jo Baker {December}



Mysteries
Leaving everything most loved, by Jacqueline Winspear {April}
No man's nightingale, by Ruth Rendell {November}
The dead in their vaulted arches, by Alan Bradley {December}



Moments
Pride and Prejudice's 200th anniversary {January}
Barbara Pym Reading Week {June}
Friends at the Mount {October}

Thank you all so much for visiting, and commenting, and sharing books and lists and friendship.  Happy New Year!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

You have definitely enriched my reading this year (starting with 80 Days), and added to my TBR stacks (why haven't I read the copy of Clementine in the Kitchen that I just had to order after reading your review). A very happy New Year - I'm looking forward to seeing what books it brings you.

fleurfisher said...

Oh, what a wonderful year. Everything I haven't read is in my library queue or on a wishlist, as you made them all sound so tempting when you wrote about them. And I have plans to read or re-read every word Edith Wharton wrote over the coming years.

I wish you a 2014 with even more wonderful books.

Bellezza Mjs said...

I love that you met a blogging friend, in real life. Some day, I hope we can do the same. xo

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Great list! I've only read Bertie and The View from Penthouse B but I really liked them both. And one day, dammit, I am actually going to read Middlemarch!

JoAnn said...

For this post, I must jump through hoops and try to comment with my iPad! The Mount was a highlight for me, too. Happy New Year, Audrey :-)

lyn said...

I loved several books on your list - Bertie, the Pyms, P&P, Age of Innocence, Middlemarch & the Rendell. I love Edith but not House of Mirth, I'm afraid. I always want to shake Lily although the ending is so poignant.
Happy New year!

Karen K. said...

I have EVERY SINGLE ONE of those history and biography books on my to read list!!! All of them!!

And I'm so glad you liked House of Mirth and Middlemarch. Middlemarch started out pretty slow but I just loved it. And Lily Bart is just so darn tragic.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson