'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

September 8, 2013

Sunday reading: Edith, Spenser, plans


I hope everyone is having a nice, relaxing Sunday,   After two or three days of gorgeous, blue-skied, cool (!!!) weather, it's a little cloudy this morning, which suits me well, because I'm in a nesting mood. (And a reading mood! It's been a couple of weeks since I've done any Sunday reading, mostly for good reasons, but as we move into fall and winter I'm looking forward to returning to my Sunday routine. Yes, I am jumping the gun, but these are my two favorite seasons. But then again, I was just looking at the 10-day forecast... high 60s tomorrow, 89 (??? could that be a typo?) on Wednesday, and a high of 66 on Saturday. Crazy! (and normal).

I don't really want to make reading plans, though... I just want to read. I was happy that Jane and JoAnn and Lisa reminded me about R.I.P. VIII. I don't have any specific books in mind yet, though a couple of Charles Todds and the two earlier Louise Pennys that I haven't yet read are on my Ipod, waiting for long walks. {Because it plays both CDs and MP3s -- and the remote works! -- my new 'necklace' has already greatly enhanced my audiobook-listening capabilities. I'm so glad I decided to buy it, especially since it's only available on Amazon now at almost twice the price. It was destiny.}

Last night, I finished listening to Wonderland, the new Spenser novel written by Parker's heir, Ace Atkins.  I think this new writer does a very good job of continuing the mood and feel of Parker's books, and I'm glad that we still have Spensers to read. {A couple of weeks ago, The Boston Globe had a quiz to see if we could tell Parker's writing from Atkins'. I didn't do very well.} Although it was a lot of fun to listen to, I think there was something missing in this book {Hawk was away, and there wasn't as much of Spenser's inner self}. But even though it wasn't as moving as Jane's sense of home in her reading, I was listening on my Ipod while I was walking down Commonwealth Avenue, only to hear that Spenser was walking down Commonwealth Avenue at that very moment.  I looked around, but I couldn't see him!

On Monday, I started reading The Age of Innocence with JoAnn (with abject apologies to our friend Bellezza, because I messed up my chance to read it with her earlier this year). I love that I'm reading my slightly-yellowed paperback copy from college; the date I wrote on the inside front cover reminded me that I would have bought it for the seminar on the literature of New York that I took with Professor Lewis, her biographer.  I've read the first five or six chapters, and I think he would have assigned this book even without his connection to EW.  There's so much minutely observed detail {food, houses, clothing, architecture, social customs, prejudices, fashionable and bohemian neighborhoods}.  I know the story, so I'm trying to concentrate a little on these details and how Edith works them into her look back on the 'old New York' of her younger life. JoAnn and I are also hoping to meet at The Mount sometime in September or October, if we can. I can't tell you how nice that would be!

What are you reading/doing/planning today?


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Enjoy your reading - I'm envying your cooler weather. And I'm glad you're RIPping too :) I just saw that Louise Penny's new book was #1 on the NYT bestseller list. I'm a book behind on that series, maybe I can catch up with RIP.

JoAnn said...

I thought there was a typo in our weather forecast this morning - they just adjusted Tuesday and Wednesday's temps to 90 and 92!! Ugh.

Last week was a very slow reading week for me. My parents are staying with us now while their hardwood floors are refinished - lots of fun, but not at all conducive to reading.

Am enjoying my time in Edith Wharton's New York. I have a very old hard-cover edition, plus I downloaded it for free on my kindle so I could take advantage of the 99 cent audio offer.

The Mount is closing early on a few Saturdays this fall (looks like they have private events, probably weddings?). We'll have to compare schedules.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson