'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

September 25, 2013

Edith and Boston



The next morning, when Archer got out of the Fall River train, he emerged upon a steaming mid-summer Boston. The streets near the station were full of the smell of beer and coffee and decaying fruit, and a shirt-sleeved populace moved through them with the intimate abandon of boarders going down the passage to the bathroom.
      Archer found a cab and drove to the Somerset Club for breakfast. Even the fashionable quarters had the air of untidy domesticity to which no excess of heat ever degrades the European cities. Caretakers in calico lounged on the doorsteps of the wealthy, and the Common looked like a pleasure-ground on the morrow of a Masonic picnic. If Archer had tried to imagine Ellen Olenska in improbable scenes he could not have called up any into which it was more difficult to fit her than this heat-prostrated and deserted Boston.
from The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton {Chapter XXIII}

Oh, dear. As funny and cutting as she is about New York, and New York society, Edith Wharton does not like my lovely city. And if that's true, what does it say about why she set this part of the novel here? Is it possibly because her difficult, disappointing husband was from a wealthy Boston family? I have been wanting to adopt her as a Boston writer, but there is just no thread connecting her to here.

I'm reading The Age of Innocence this month with our friend JoAnn. {This photo, found here, shows The Parker House, where Newland will go after breakfast, at about the time when he was there. JoAnn, are you here yet?}



5 comments:

JoAnn said...

Yes, I read that a couple of days ago and wondered what Edith had against Boston! It really is time for me to pull down the Hermione Lee bio I bought a few years ago...

I'm reading chapter 31 now and will switch to the audiobook for my walk this morning. Hope to finish by the weekend.

Audrey said...

Perfect... me too!

JoAnn said...

Had to take an extra long walk to finish the book. Oh, my - that last chapter! Switching back to the book and rereading the last two chapters tonight.

Amy Meyer said...

Edith isn't one to hold back her opinions. If it's any conciliation, she didn't always say such nice things about NYC either. I think her husband's connection to Boston was partly responsible, at least. for her negative thoughts of Boston. I love The Age of Innocence and so much of Edith Wharton's writing.

Nina Kellock said...

Hello from Norfolk, England!
I found you via Lilac in May, and just thought I would add my own little comment. My favourite Edith Wharton book is Age of Innocence, though I enjoy so much of her writing. However, as with many other writers, I have to be in the right mood for her, I can't just pick up one of her books casually. A bit like Austen and Dickens in that way.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson