'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

May 20, 2013

Sweet and just a touch musty



....there is even a perfume that smells like Barbara Pym – or at least her books, according to its designer. Paperback, sold by Demeter Fragrance in America, smells like "a dusty old copy of a Barbara Pym novel … sweet and just a touch musty".  {from 'The Blagger's (sic) Guide To: Barbara Pym,' in The Independent, March 2013}
{If only!... but it is also 'a fragrance literary with a variety of scents ranging from cosmopolitan cocktail to vanilla cake batter.'  That just makes no sense.  Different sides of the pond, I guess; but it's hard to imagine something that could smell like all of those things ... thank goodness. :)

Never mind ... I have plenty of dusty old copies of Barbara Pym novels of my own {thankfully! they're so hard to find now!} and many lovely, unmusty new friends to share her with, during the Barbara Pym Reading Week organized {thank you!} by Thomas and Amanda beginning June 1.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't wait that long ... I started reading A Lot to Ask, the biography by her friend Hazel Holt, yesterday.

During the fete, I think I'm going to start with Some Tame Gazelle {her first novel, and described as the most autobiographical one} and also read No Fond Return of Love {because some of our friends from A Glass of Blessings return}. I'm hoping to add at least one more (these are long-overdue rereads for me}.  And there might be a recipe or two.


1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Paperback perfume?? Very funny, but I think I'll pass...no slightly musty fragrance for me ;-)

Can't wait for Pym reading week. #Pymps

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson