'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

May 3, 2013

Blushing



      Mrs. Heeny laughed. 'Did you read the description of yourself in the Radiator this morning? I wish't I'd 'a had time to cut it out. I guess I'll have to start a separate bag for your clippings soon.'
      Undine stretched her arms luxuriously above her head and gazed through lowered lids at the foreshortened reflection of her face.
      'Mercy! Don't jerk around like that. Am I to put in this rose? -- There -- you are lovely!' Mrs. Heeny sighed, as the pink petals sank into the hair above the girl's forehead. Undine pushed her chair back, and sat supporting her chin on her clasped hands while she studied the result of Mrs. Heeny's manipulations. 'Yes -- that's the way Mrs. Peter Van Degen's flower was put in the other night; only hers was a camellia. -- Do you think I'd look better with a camellia?'
      'I guess if Mrs. Van Degen looked like a rose she'd'a worn a rose,' Mrs. Heeny rejoined poetically. 'Sit still a minute longer,' she added. 'Your hair's so heavy I'd feel easier if I was to put in another pin.'  Undine remained motionless, and the manicure, suddenly laying both hands on the girl's shoulders, and bending over to peer at her reflection, said playfully, 'Ever been engaged before, Undine?'
      A blush rose to the face in the mirror, spreading from chin to brow, and running rosily over the white shoulders from which their covering had slipped down.
      'My! If he could see you now!'
      Mrs. Spragg, rising noiselessly, glided across the room and became lost in a minute examination of the dress laid out on the bed.
      With a supple twist Undine slipped from Mrs. Heeny's hold.
      'Engaged? Mercy, yes! Didn't you know?  To the Prince of Wales!  I broke it off because I wouldn't live in the Tower.'
      Mrs. Spragg, lifting the dress cautiously over her arms, advanced with a reassured smile.
      'I s'pose Undie'll go to Europe now,' she said to Mrs. Heeny.

I'm still a month or two behind {though I'm trying} in following The Mount's 100th-anniversary re-publication of The Custom of the Country, but it's so good. The plot is already thickening {'The habit of meeting young men in sequestered spots was not unknown to her:  the novelty was in feeling any embarrassment about it.'}, and the writing -- and Undine -- are wonderful. I loved the description {in the introduction to one installment}of Edith Wharton as 'a kind of double agent of proper decorum,' living among them just to reveal their secrets.

{roses found here}

2 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I have vague memories of this but it has been so long since I read it that I know it's time for me to pick it up again. I do remember it being the only Wharton I really enjoyed!

JoAnn said...

Ah, the patience of Mrs Heeny..
Undine is my favorite Wharton character. Glad you're still enjoying The Custom of the Country.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson