'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

April 5, 2013

Found on a Blog: The Love-charm of Bombs



A month or two ago, when Jane (a.k.a Fleur Fisher in her world) wrote about this book, I went looking for it on the spot (that happens a lot). She said:

I was smitten with ‘The Love-charm of Bombs’ from the very first time I read about it. The prospect of seeing London in the Second World War through the eyes of five remarkable writers – Elizabeth Bowen, Graham Greene, Rose Macaulay, Hilde Spiel and Henry Yorke (who wrote under the name Henry Green) – was simply irresistible.
For me, too, and even though this book won't be published here till this summer, I was able to put the British edition on reserve at the college library. It came in last week, and though I would normally have it till September, even as he was checking it out to me the library guy said that it was already recalled for another patron and I could only have it for 10 days. Did I still want it?

Did I?  It's 465 pages long, and I didn't really think I would have enough time this week and next (busy at work), but I thought I'd bring it home anyway and see if it was as promising as it sounded.  I've read about sixty pages in, and it definitely is. The book begins by describing a September night early in the Blitz, and setting what these figures -- who were all volunteering as air raid wardens, auxiliary fireman or ambulance drivers -- saw during their shifts against how they wrote about the war, then and later. Both the writing and the writers are compelling (and what a great title!), and it's nice to be able to recommend a book I haven't even read yet. :)

Even if I do have to wait a while before I can finish it.  But then again I could wait a respectable, kindly, ladylike week or two and then recall it from the recaller. {Insert diabolical laughter.}

Thanks, Jane!
. . . . . . . . . .
 
'Found on a blog' is my new label for books that I discover by reading
your wonderful blogs. I try to keep track, before I read them, but I thought
I would also like to say thanks this way.
 
 

2 comments:

Cosy Books said...

Ooh, ooh...I have a preorder in for this one, Audrey, it couldn't be more up my alley! This book has me so excited I could...I could...well I could stand right up on my chair and shout loud enough for the neighbours to hear! Thank goodness for blogs and fleurfisher I say. And as for you with that diabolical laugh - you crack me up!

Glad you've enjoyed the book so far and spare a thought for poor me; I have to wait until JULY...hmmphhh.

fleurfisher said...

I am so, so happy to find somebody else loving this book. Do whatever you have to to get a copy back in your hands as soon as you can, and get ready to track down the works of those five authors asap.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson