'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

March 12, 2013

A finer thing



It might be argued fancifully that Edith Wharton's best contribution to fiction in the spring of 1909 was the part she innocently played in Henry James's story 'The Velvet Glove.' After reading it Edith wrote James to say that it was 'really good,' and to this James answered that two American periodicals had turned it down, which was like 'declining you, since bien assurément the whole reeks with you -- and with Cook and our Paris (Cook's and yours and mine) so no wonder it's 'really good.'
from Edith Wharton:  a biography, by R.W.B. Lewis

Edith and Henry and Cook and Paris. When I read this paragraph last weekend {and the next one, including a mention of  'muffled envy and apprehension' from Henry toward Edith}, bien assurément I wanted to read it.  The story wasn't included in any of the books I have, but five minutes of intensive scholarly bibliographic research :)  told me that it was published in a collection of Henry's short stories called The Finer Grain, and that the college library's copy of the book was not checked out.

My intensive scholarly bibliographic research probably would have told me this, if I had paid attention, but when I found the book this afternoon it was clearly old, with worn edges on the spine, embossed gilt letters on the front cover, and an ornate bookplate inside  that announced that it was the gift of James Hazen Hyde and the class of 1898.  The due date slip on the inside back cover showed that the book hadn't been checked out since I was 19 {about the time I first met Edith and Henry} and of course, it turned out to be a 1910 edition.

It's a little thing, but it made me happy!

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

How wonderful to have a job that allows for "intensive scholarly bibliographic research" (clearly I chose the wrong field of study)... I'm dying to know what you thought of the story!

Audrey said...

No, I just pretend that it does. :)

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson