The act of reading ... begins on a flat surface, counter or page, and then gets stirred and chopped and blended until what we make, in the end, is a dish, or story, all our own. -- Adam Gopnik



January 21, 2013

Monday reading



Starting tomorrow, if all goes as planned, I'm going to be doing something that I haven't done in almost three years:  leave the house, every morning, to go to the office, to work {in my beloved but part-time university job, and two consulting projects) the equivalent of full-time.  Something I've needed to do, and wanted to do, and didn't know, two weeks ago, that I'd be doing.

It's a small thing, but it's kind of perfect that my last day off is a holiday -- because when you don't work on Mondays, anyway, not working on Mondays loses its luster.  I think I have a perfect day planned.  I'm about 60 pages from the end of The House of Mirth -- and completely, utterly immersed in it -- and I think I'll try to finish it this afternoon. It's such a wonderful book -- full of houses and nasty people and suspense and wit and little zingers on almost every page.  Though it's set in New York, and about 15 years earlier, there's almost something Downton Abbey-ish about it {though I think that comparison, if it's not stupid, should be turned around, in other words, that there's something Edith-ish about Downton Abbey.} I'm also going to make a vat of beef stew, some for the frigid weather {and snow! twice!!} we have coming up and some for the freezer.  {This -- the reading and the cooking-ahead -- was always my Sunday plan, at least in winter -- and hopefully will be again.} 

Now all I need to do is get a little more organized, carve out enough time for reading, and remember to set the alarm clock every night. :)  Looking ahead to my next book, I've already read the first few chapters of Peter Robinson's new Inspector Banks mystery, and I saw (completely by chance) that our PBS station is going to show the UK series based on his books starting tonight.  I had actually seen the first episode when I was in Switzerland two years ago, and I didn't think the actor who played Banks fit my idea of him at all. But maybe he will. They're also showing {old} episodes of Midsomer Murders, and like the helpful elderly witness in the new Banks book, I never miss one of those. :)  {Why is it that the characters in mysteries who like the same books I do are always elderly?}

Wishing you have a great day and a great week.

{This is one of the original illustrations forThe House of Mirth, found here.}

 

6 comments:

Frances said...

Wishing you all the best! Especially with that whole alarm clock thing. Edith and beef stew seem a pretty appealing day. Happy reading!

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Very exciting news! It sounds like you have an excellent last day off planned. And you are not the only one who has noticed that the only fictional characters who share your reading tastes seem to be geriatric (even outside of mysteries)! I choose to take it as a sign of good taste.

Alex in Leeds said...

Good luck with the new job!

Lisa May said...

I hope that your day turned out just as you planned - it sounds lovely. I am also appreciating the extra day off! And I hope that your transition to your new work goes smoothly - the real shock will probably come next Monday :) but then Fridays make up for that.

JoAnn said...

It sounds like a perfectly wonderful day. Good luck adjusting to your new routine... very exciting news!

FleurFisher said...

that is wonderful news, if a little bit scary. Good luck!