-- But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? -- What did you look forward to? -- To any thing, every thing -- to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perseverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured. {Jane Austen, Emma}



December 9, 2012

Somethng else to look forward to...


 

This being the time of year when we think about good things to come in the new year, I'm already (ahem) planning to celebrate Edith Wharton's 151st (oh dear) birthday (on January 24th) with a year of reading many of her novels and short stories and going (several times!) to the Mount.  But since I know I'll be more organized and thoughtful about her 151st than I was about her 150th, I'm feeling confident about fitting in another birthday celebration.

Thomas at My Porch mentioned today that 2013 is Barbara Pym's centenary year (she was born on June 2, 1913), and he has announced a reading week to celebrate!  I'm definitely in, and I'm happy to see that a couple of my reading friends might be signing up too.

And there's a conference in Cambridge -- this Cambridge -- in March. It's very tempting.  And even if I don't go to it, it's wonderful knowing that I could be just one of a  room full of people who would find listening to a talk {by Laura Shapiro, who wrote a biography of Julia Child that I like very much} on  'Smoked Salmon and a Perfectly Ripe Peach: How Pym's Work Challenges the Soggy-Tinned-Peas Version of British Culinary History' the perfect way to spend a late winter Saturday afternoon.

It's going to be a re-reading week for me, because I think I've read {and I know I loved} all the novels {many of them more than once}. I haven't read A Very Private Eye:  An Autobiography in Diaries and Letters {edited by Hazel Holt and Hilary Pym) or her friend Hazel Holt's biography A Lot to Ask:  A Life of Barbara Pym.  They've both been on my shelf, unread (why, I wonder?) for a long time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to join in the TBR Double Dog Dare. I should, but I love my library(ies) too much. I just wouldn't dare.


5 comments:

Lisa May said...

Not even for a double-dog dare? :)

I've been wanting to visit some college friends in the Boston area - I wonder if I could combine that with the conference - though I definitely need to read more of her books first.

Karen K. said...

It's so exciting to hear about the Barbara Pym society! I'm a member of the Jane Austen Society of North America, and at our quarterly meeting yesterday, we were wondering which other authors had societies. Wish I could go to the Boston conference. I haven't read nearly enough Pym so I'm definitely signing up for the June readalong.

And I'm jealous you're close enough to visit The Mount. I need to find a way to get there someday!

JoAnn said...

I'm in for the Barbara Pym week, too. The conference sounds wonderful (I'll have to google for date/details) and we still need to meet at The Mount. 2013 for sure!

Marie said...

I was just in the Berkshires this weekend and should have gone to the Mount. I'm going to have to keep my ears open about this conference!

Bellezza said...

I've made a note of your Wharton birthday celebration on January 24th. I'll try to join you as I've been meaning to read The Age of Innocence for quite some time.

Also, see my reply to your comment about the books I have in my sidebar; you're so very welcome to join in any of them! xox