The act of reading ... begins on a flat surface, counter or page, and then gets stirred and chopped and blended until what we make, in the end, is a dish, or story, all our own. -- Adam Gopnik



December 19, 2012

Library Loot {special Christmas Break edition}


I love the 'Library Loot' posts that Claire {and othe bloggers} put on their sites, because the next best thing to bringing home your own stack of books to read is being able to peek at what other people have found.  But speaking of libraries, one of the perks of my job {correction:  the best perk any job could possibly have} is  university library privileges, and I've realized that I'm not taking sufficient advantage of that.  And since another of the perks of my job is a real, old-fashioned, long, Christmas break (the university is closed from Christmas Eve to New Year's), this was a perfect time to go overboard in fixing that.

When I first learned about this, I thought I might have a chance to do some quirky, slightly dusty, academic reading (old biographies, for instance), and that made me happy enough.  But what I can actually find, besides those, is new biographies and histories that haven't been published here yet or at all...



and UK mysteries and fiction {same} ...



and, maybe best of all, these...




 
And there are at least 20 more of the lovely gray books to look forward to. {I did finally buy my first ones this year, but other libraries have never had them.}

 Much more than I can possibly read in ten days, even though the only thing I have planned is 'indulgent slothing about' {Darlene was nice enough to lend me that}.  Though unless someone clicks the dreaded 'recall' button,  some of these aren't due back until September. (!!) 

And what's even nicer to think about is that most of these books {or maybe all of them} were introduced to me by blogging friends. So thank you for being in a reading circle with me, and I hope your holidays and new year are very happy and blessed.

5 comments:

Lisa May said...

Serving Victoria is second only to the John Mullan on my "I want it now!" list. And I do envy your lovely break. I will be working Christmas eve morning, if you can believe it (I'm still in denial myself :)

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Persephones!!! I am so excited for you! Academic library are the best. I have to admit that I didn't immediately recognize which book that third endpaper belonged to and, needing to know, had to check the website to see that it is for They Can't Ration These. I feel much better now that I've figured that out ;)

Bertie is high on my wishlist but I must admit that though I've had Bluestockings on my bookshelf for several years now, I have never read it.

With these books (and that ridiculously long loan period!) you are sure to have an excellent Christmas break!

Darlene said...

Two weeks, you lucky woman! You have some fabulous titles there so here's to a blissful holiday of slothing.

elizabeth said...

Wow, those are wonderful finds! I never use my university library for anything but academic books, but I'm going right now to see if I can find more books like these.

Marie said...

what a great post. i hope you enjoy all your books! you're one of my favorite bloggers and i hope you have a very happy holiday season. <3