— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

December 30, 2012

Later on, we'll conspire...





 
They said on the news last night that we got only 9 point something inches of snow all last winter, so watching this fall last night (in between raindrops) and waking up to it this morning was pretty wonderful.  There were only a few inches, but that was enough to cover everything, and it's the beautiful kind of snow that outlines every single branch. I'm such a little kid when this happens.
 
When the sun came out (briefly) this morning it was just magical, so I found some ridiculously warm socks and walked down to the Public Garden. I was glad I did, but it was really too cold to linger, even in the socks, so I'm grateful for the T, some tea, and a reading chair that faces my front windows.
 


Part of me wanted to spend winter break making lists, and baking bread, and reading fourteen books, and the other part of me wanted to be unproductive and peaceful.  Plan B is winning, and I'm happy about that, even if I regret it on Wednesday.  

I like making lists, even if I don't like making New Year's resolutions, and I was thinking over the weekend about what my reading plans for next year might look like.

  1. Re-reading Pride and Prejudice in January, in honor of its 200th birthday.
  2. Celebrating Edith Wharton's 151st birthday, properly this time. A biography, a short story every month (I've already made a list), The House of Mirth (it was serialized from January through November, 1905, though hopefully I won't take that long to read it), The Age of Innocence (probably in the fall) and at least one, possibly two, trips to The Mount.
  3. Finishing Middlemarch {in the middle of March} and possibly a biography of George Eliot
  4. Re-reading a lot of Barbara Pym, in honor of her centenary (June)
  5. Paris in July {I kind of missed it this year}
  6. R.I.P. in September/October {same}
  7. reading lots of Persephones {I started A House in the Country this morning} and other books that I can only find in the Harvard libraries {I definitely haven't taken enough advantage of that}
  8. more Boston reading {some history, and some fiction set here}
  9. a few more Angela Thirkells
etc. etc. etc. If anyone wants to join me in any of this, I would absolutely love that.

I hope your Sunday is lovely, and that you're reading something good.

9 comments:

Lee-Anne (Lily Oak Books) said...

We haven't seen the grass here since mid-October and I still get giddy when we have hoar frost or a blanket of snow on the trees. It's so magical, isn't it?

Your reading plans look lovely for 2013! I'm planning to read P+P and The Age of Innocence as well, lots of Canadian novels and short fiction, as well as world classics. I'm excited to read your thoughts in 2013!

Happy New Year!

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I was out in the woods here this morning, giving thanks that there was no snow in sight and that everything was green. But when I see your lovely photos, even I can admit that snow can be beautiful. Particularly when I don't have to live in it ;)

I think your reading plans are wonderful. I had been thinking about rereading P&P for its anniversary in January and will also be rereading Cheerful Weather for the Wedding for Simon's readalong but those are my only plans so far.

FleurFisher said...

The downside of living on the Cornish coast is that I don't think I've seen nine inches of snow over the course of my lifetime. We just have rain!

I love your plan, and I'm looking forward to seeing its progress next year.

JoAnn said...

How did I miss the fact that January is the 200th anniversary of P&P? Of course I'll reread!

Barbara Pym, Edith Wharton, Persephones, and 'meeting' Angela Thirkell all figure into my reading plans for 2013, so we'll be seeing a lot of each other:-)

No reading for me yet today, but I will return to Washington Square shortly. The view from your window is just beautiful...

elizabeth said...

What a great reading plan! There is something really satisfying about reading while looking at snow outside the window.

michelle said...

What a lovely winter wonderland you have over there! Beautiful shots. Thanks for braving the cold with your warm socks to snap these and for sharing with people like me, who have will never ever get to see such snow over here at our corner of the globe. :)
Love the view from your window, and those lamp shades.

Lisa May said...

Now that I've lived in the south for so long, I've really come to prefer snow at a distance. It looks so lovely seen from a window, as in your pictures - I just don't want to go out in it :)

I plan to join the Barbara Pym week, and I really want to find more of Lettice Cooper's books. I meant to join RIP this year, but I never got myself organized - this may be the year. So I think we'll definitely be meeting again over books - and I'm so glad! best wishes for a happy & book-filled new year!

Tamara said...

Awesome photo's - love to see the snow as I sit here on my deck in the Aussie heat experiencing nearly 100% humidity at 29 degrees celcius! I love lists too - and I'd love to follow your successes this year - we look forward to sharing Paris in July 2013 too (have a few idea's brewing for this years event) -so HAPY NEW YEAR and all the best with some of those goals!

Blithe Spirit said...

What a great reading line-up for 2013. I'm definitely going to try and read more Persephones and also dip into my collection of Viragos. I've started the year reading the short stories of Elizabeth Taylor. My first "classic" will be Gaskell's Cranford as I've just visited the town of Knutsford on which it was based.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson