The act of reading ... begins on a flat surface, counter or page, and then gets stirred and chopped and blended until what we make, in the end, is a dish, or story, all our own. -- Adam Gopnik



October 31, 2012

in October I also read...



  1. The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise, by Julia Stuart (as an audiobook, on my Ipod, while I was walking around). This is a book that caught my eye when it was first published, but I never got around to reading it.  It's set in the Tower of London, and tells of the lives and loves of the Beefeaters living there. This one had me fromt the cast of characters at the beginning of the book. Quirky, unserious and really a lot of fun.
  2. Blood Never Dies, by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. The latest book in her Bill Slider mystery series. I'm terrible - I read so many of these series mysteries that here I am, two weeks after I read this one, and I CANNOT remember what it's about. (Mortifying.) But I like this series very much, and I enjoyed this one.
  3. Murder in the Rue Dumas, by M.L. Longworth. This is the second book in a new series about Antoine Verlacque, the examining judge in Aix-en-Provence, and his girlfriend, Martine Bonnet, a law professor who gets involved in his cases. I remember thinking after the first book that Martine could do a lot better for herself; in this one, he's very innocuous and a little dull.  Fun to read on the train; I like the settings, too (Provence and Paris, this time).
  4. The Solitary House, by Lynn Shepherd. A well-done historical mystery {recommended by Fleur Fisher; a co-worker recommended it to me, too).  Perfect for reading on  the train (and during the hurricane).  I liked the  author's style of inserting herself, or her narrator at least, into the story, with occasional comments and allusions to how the events in this book (set in Dickens' time) connected with modern ones. 
  5. I listened to about half of Katherine Howe's novel The House of Velvet and Sand, about a Boston family coping with the loss of their mother and sister on the Titanic.  I thought the setting (in my new neighborhood!) and the premise had a lot of promise, but after a while the characters and the story just didn't hold me. This might be a reflection of how I listen to audiobooks sometimes (in very short bursts), so I might try it again.

{Since I'm never going to be able to, or even want to, write about every book I read, I thought I'd try this for a while...}  

The painting is by Winslow Homer, and called 'The New Novel.') 

6 comments:

Bellezza said...

I haven't read The House of Velvet and Glass even though I meant to. Now I wonder if I'll like it as you didn't. It might have little to do with being audio.

Lisa May said...

So glad to see your post & tweet, I was wondering how you came through Sandy.

I was eager to read The House of Velvet & Glass but didn't get too far into it.

I think I'm getting the same word verification each time - that would be handy :)

Vintage Reading said...

Glad to see that you are fine (and reading!) after the great storm. The news footage of it here in the UK was terrifying.

Audrey said...

Thank you for the good wishes! I guess after all the waiting and worrying I should say that the storm was fairly mild where I live - just a long afternoon and evening of gusty wind and rain. We were very, very lucky...and just as terrified by the news footage of what was happening just two or three states away.

Nan said...

I like your 'new' way. I think about this a lot because I really do use my blog as a way of keeping track of the books I've read. Sometimes I write a long 'book report' and other times I do much shorter 'book notes' often with several books like you did here. I'm even thinking of mini book notes because sometimes I just want to state the facts rather than saying much. :<)
I read the first Bill Slider years and years ago, and so liked it. I keep meaning to read it again, and then continue on with the series.

JoAnn said...

After four years of blogging, I find that I no longer enjoy writing longer 'reviews' and am struggling to find a shorter format for recording book thoughts.. love this!