'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

September 29, 2012

I think he pulls it off


Part of me wanted to be sentimental and stop reading the Spenser novels after Robert B. Parker's last one, but when I saw Lullaby on the library's new book shelf last week, I couldn't resist bringing it home.  Parker died in 2010; a writer named Ace Atkins (a very Parker-esque name) is the authorized continuer of the series, and I think his imitation is very, very flattering. Of course, Spenser is probably much easier to evoke than, say, Jane Austen, but then again the books' sameness was probably a large part of their charm. :)

In this one, a fourteen-year-old girl from Southie hires Spenser to look into the death of her mother, which happened four years ago.  A friend of the family is in prison for her murder, but Mattie saw two other men push her mother into a car on the night she died and she is demanding justice. What happens next is everything that you'd expect to happen in a Spenser (doughnuts, martinis in chic Boston hotels, Hawk, Susan, Pearl the Wonder Dog, recurring gangsters, Spenser's clothes, Hawk's clothes, Susan's clothes, a couple of shootings, Rita Fiore, and at least one new thing that Spenser makes for dinner).  If you read them, you'll know what I mean; if you haven't, my brother introduced me to them years and years ago, you can read this one or an earlier one in a couple of hours or a couple of commutes, and you might come to agree that it's good sometimes when things go on.

2 comments:

Lisa May said...

When I lived in Western Mass, every time I went to Boston I had a donut and looked for Spenser. I had to laugh at your list of the usual things - now I'm wondering about Spenser's new dinner dish :) It was such a shock when I learned of Parker's death. I'm glad that this book keeps up his standards.

Bellezza said...

I'm glad you liked it, but i'm still afraid to try. Imitations always seem to fall short for me, and I loved Parker so much...

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson