'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

February 2, 2012

Venice in Febuary




... might look something like this, at least I hope so. I've never been there. But there are certain readers, and Dolce Bellezza is definitely one of them, who inspire me, and I will happily travel there with her this month as that's where she wanted to go

My stack of books in progress and to be read is, as always, a little too high to be realistic, but I've picked out two Edith Wharton short stories set in Venice and if I can, and I'll definitely try, I'll read The Wings of the Dove with Bellezza and Frances before the month is out. And {this has to a sign} finding these on the library's new-books-on-CD shelf today means that I can easily spend a little more time in Venice that I had even hoped.



{The first book is a new one to me, but as I've said before I love Donna Leon's Guido Brunetti mysteries, especially as audiobooks, especially when the Italian foods and place names float in and around whatever else is happening in the books. It looks like this is a new audio version of an older book, but, joy of joys, it's one that I haven't read.}

{The painting is Snowing in Campo S.S. Giovanni e Paolo, Venice, by an American artist, William Graham, from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.}

5 comments:

Kate said...

The Good Thief's Guide to Paris was good fun - nothing startling, but enjoyable. The location played a huge role, so I'm hoping the Good Thief's Guide to Venice will have lots of references to place!

JoAnn said...

I started Miss Garnet's Angel last night... think I'm going to enjoy it very much. Which Wharton stories are set in Venice?

Audrey said...

Hi, JoAnn:
I read that! ... and it led me to others of her books.
The story I noted down is called 'A Venetian Night's Entertainment' ... and now I can't find the other one (but I'll let you know if I do!) There are also two novels with Venetian scenes: The Glimpses of the Moon and The Children.

JoAnn said...

Thanks, Audrey! I would love to add some Wharton to Venice in February.

FleurFisher said...

I'm hoping to read The WIngs of the Dove too. but I've read Rumer Godden first, and the introuduction to her book has pointed me to another book about Venice that I didn't know. A month may not be long enough!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson