'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

January 23, 2012

Of beds and books




This lovely room, which was on the cover of the March issue of House & Home, got me thinking {right after it had me sighing, and longing...}  In my childhood bedroom, my college dorm rooms, and my first three apartments, my bed was always surrounded by bookshelves.  It's only been in my last two places that I've had a second bedroom to turn into an office/study/library/guest room, with walls lined with bookshelves (I have four floor-to-ceiling ones, not counting the one in the kitchen and the small one in the entryway}. Part of me likes the soft, pale, calmly-colored peace of my bedroom, and part of me misses the coziness and sense of self that comes from being surrounded by books at the beginning and ending of every day. (Not that I ever consciously thought of it that way, but I like to.} If you had your choice, what would you do?

I love the 'Library Lust' posts that Claire of The Captive Reader posts on her blog, so this is mine. Would I want this room?  I'm not sure I'd feel very rested in it, or that I wouldn't always be jumping out of bed, once I had nestled down into it, to pull a book off the shelves and look something up.  I would have different artwork, and one or two of the little tables don't grab me, but it's so beautiful and warm. And a fireplace? Yes, please.

5 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

As soon as my copy of House and Home arrived a few weeks ago with that image on the cover, my first thought was "oh!", followed very shortly by "that would be perfect for Library Lust". Looks like I wasn't the only one with that reaction!

As much as I love the look of this room, I don't think I could live in it. I find books too distracting in a bedroom and it's really the only room in the house that I'm comfortable not having a bookshelf in. I'd also hate to have my bed against the wall with the windows rather than facing it (though I suppose it would depend on what the view is, to some extent).

LauraC said...

I am lucky enough to have enough bedrooms for all the people to sleep in, a spare for a computer room (with a pull-out couch), AND a small room for me that holds most of my books (collectibles and children's books are elsewhere). It also has a twin bed in it for guests. I love dozing off while reading on the bed or just looking toward my bookshelves. The bookshelves in my bedroom hold my collectible children's books and my schoolbooks from the 1800's that I also used to collect. The regular children's books are downstairs in the family room. (My youngest is 17, so the children's books are mine!)Books everywhere except the kitchen, living room, and bathrooms.
LauraC

michelle said...

Love the look and tone of this room! The large windows give enough light into the room, making it look very bright & refreshing. Personally, I think waking up to the view of a lovely bookshelf (and going to bed with the same view)is very warm and comforting. I love looking towards my bookshelf while lying in bed (the position of my bed and bookshelf is the same as the pictured room except that mine is a much smaller room and the windows are beside my bed). :)

Lisa May said...

I think I'd want the bed facing the fireplace, so that I'd have books on one side and the view on the other - but I'd bet the door is on that wall? anyway, I do like the room.

Karen K. said...

I could get very used to that room! Except it's too bright to sleep in, I'd need blackout curtains. The bed looks great and I'd love a fireplace in the bedroom.

The bookshelves are to die for, needless to say. But the picture on the lower right of the fireplace is unnerving. That would have to go. Lower left as well.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson