'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

October 20, 2011

Happy Birthday to Winifred Watson





I'm not all that fond of Facebook, but I do like liking Persephone Books (and NPR Books, and PBS, and Wegmans, and my nieces and nephews, not necessarily in that order ... :).

But I did learn that today is Winifred Watson's 105th birthday {she was born October 20, 1906}.  Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day is so good.  I'm glad I read the book before I saw the movie, because although I liked the movie very much -- it was funny and charming -- the book was something more than that. 

She wrote Fell Top in 1935 and Odd Shoes a year later, 'two rather strong dramas...but when they received a book that was fun - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day [1938] - they would not accept it...I can remember to this day looking up at the publisher and saying, 'You are wrong, Miss Pettigrew is a winner.'  {from the Persephone Books site}


3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Miss Pettigrew is definitely a winner! It served as my introduction to Persephone. The movie was wonderful, too, but in a very different way...

Vintage Reading said...

I've read the book, but I've not yet seen the movie. I must get a dvd because I think Amy Adams is charming!

Nan said...

I so enjoyed the book and just could not watch the film. It seemed like a caricature of the book. But I know a lot of people loved it.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson