— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

September 18, 2011

A wonderful Sunday, so far...




Is is starting to feel like fall where you live? Better yet, is it suddenly starting to feel like fall?  That's what I've loved about the last few days ... going from warm and muggy on Wednesday and Thursday morning, to cool and sunny and crisp (or at least crisper) since then. I went to a college soccer game Friday night (it seems like decades since I've done that...actually, it probably has been) and froze. True, the sweater I pulled on for my walk this afternoon was wishful thinking, and it could be 90 degrees next week for all I know, but there's a tree on my street that's already red, I've been surrounding myself with tea and tea cups, and the temperatures will slowly turn. I'm one of the people who love that.

I also love just thinking about the reading that I've been stacking up for myself for the next month or so. Some of it is being directed by various events and challenges, some of it is stuff I probably would have read anyway, but that feels especially right now, and some of it is both.

  • Starting today (I think?) Rachel of Book Snob is hosting a group read of Persuasion.  I just read it last December, for the first time, but I'm looking forward to reading it again. I'm going to read a chapter or two tonight, but I've put an annotated edition on reserve at the library because I thought that since I've had the unalloyed pleasure of just reading it once, getting some nerdy facts would be fun this time. {I've also just remembered that Sense and Sensibility has its 200th anniversary in October, so I'll re-read that one, too.}
  • Like many of us, I'm taking part in R.I.P. {Readers Imbibing Peril} VI, hosted by Carl, and Frances and I, along with JoAnn and  some other friends, will be reading The House of the Seven Gables together. I haven't started it yet, but I will soon. If you're interested in reading it with us, we'll be posting our thoughts on October 14th and visiting/commenting the weekend after. Please join us!.
  • Speaking of peril, and houses, I just read the first two chapters of Ruth Rendell's new Wexford mystery, The Vault. Wexford is retired, and living with Dora, part time, in Sheila's coach house in London. The set-up is wonderful and there are bodies already. But I stopped because I happened to read the book jacket and it turns out that The Vault is an 'ingenious sequel' to a 1998 Wexford novel, A Sight for Sore Eyes.  I almost have to go back and read (or probably, re-read) that one first, don't I?  I should have time... 
  • Also in October, I'm going to join Katherine's blog tour (my first one!), The Picnic at Cranford, on her Gaskell Blog.
I like feeling this organized, once in a while. I hope you're enjoying good weather, and good reading, today, too.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Fall is my favorite time of year! Just realized pumpkin spice lattes are back at Starbucks, so that's definitely on my agenda this week... even if we are heading right back to the 70's.

I'm surprised how much concentration is required for The House of the Seven Gables... can't seem to read it in the evening when I'm tired. Will have to carve out some daytime hours if I'm going to make much progress!

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on Persuasion & autumn sunshine, clothes & leaves.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson