'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

September 4, 2011

R.I.P VI {II for me}




My blogging friends are all starting to talk about R.I.P {Readers Imbibing Peril} VI, the annual challenge hosted by Carl.  I learned about it, and joined in, for the first time last year, and discovered some wonderful, mostly classic stuff, including a couple of ghost stories by Edith Wharton and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  Although I read mysteries by the dozens, I only sometimes stick my toe into the dark waters of horror/gothic/supernatural fiction...but when I have, within certain confines, I've enjoyed it.

There will be mysteries {the ones I've been anticipating are starting to arrive!}, though there would have been anyway.  When I read P.D. James' Talking about Detective Fiction last year, I made a list of never-read authors to look for; one was Edmund Crispin, so I might search out The moving toyshop and The gilded fly.{Has anyone read him?} 

Nathaniel Hawthorne is my next author 'project,' and I've never read The House of the Seven Gables, so it's definitely on my list.  I might go there, too {I've never been}.  And I've found the titles of some more Edith Wharton and Henry James ghost stories. {And this! How cool.}  All things to look forward to, though I probably won't start this reading till October {or at least later this month}.  I don't have a fireplace to read them in front of, but there will be hot soup and sweaters and darkness-at-dinnertime.

In the meantime, I found this list of haunted libraries while I was poking around on the Web.  Also very cool.


5 comments:

Frances said...

That Hawthorne title is a favorite of mine, and I have not read in years. Let me know if you decide to read and maybe we could read together? Would love that!

irisonbooks said...

I have never read any Hawthorne, would that count as not scary too? :) Thank you for the tip about the Edith Wharton stories, will look into them. I just remembered that I think Gaskell is supposed to have written ghost stories too? But perhaps I have imagines this.. Another thing to check..

Nan said...

This is my first year, and I look forward to it. I'm reading mostly mysteries which are a touch darker than I usually read.
Have you by any chance read American Bloomsbury by Susan Cheever? Lots of information about Hawthorne. He's one of those writers I want to like but just don't.

Nan said...

I meant to leave a link to a book report I wrote on it years ago to give you an idea what it's all about.

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2007/05/book-reportamerican-bloomsbury.html

I've actually read it for a second time. I love that book.

Karen K. said...

Highly recommend any short story by Edith Wharton, but especially the ghost stories. My favorite is Kerfol.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson