'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

August 26, 2011

One Was a Soldier



I just (finally) finished listening to One Was a Soldier, the latest (seventh) book in the Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series by Julia Spencer-Fleming. {I say finally, because it was on my Ipod, reserved for power and after-dinner walks, and I've been listening to it for a month. Saying so to shame myself into doing better.}

If you're not familiar with these mysteries, they are set in Miller's Kill, a small town in the Adirondacks. Russ Van Allstyne is the Chief of Police, and Rev. Clare Fergusson is the priest at the Episcopal Church of St. Alban's. (It must have been mentioned often in the earlier books, but Clare is from Virginia, which I hadn't realized until I heard the somewhat grating accent the narrator gave her.) They have had a growing attraction/romance, but just after Russ' wife is killed in a car accident, Clare (who is also an Army helicopter pilot), shaken by the possibilities open to her, decides to re-enlist for a tour in Iraq.  In this book, she has just returned, Russ proposes to her, and she and Russ become involved in a case involving millions of missing dollars, the suicide of a bookkeeper working for a military contractor (a man who is Russ' nemesis), and the difficult adjustments faced by Clare and the other vets in her therapy group.

Although I'm usually more drawn to British mysteries (or mysteries with British characters/settings), I've always enjoyed this series, and this book was a good one. And it was romantic! Julia Spencer-Fleming is a mystery writer who spends as much time on her characters' personal and inner lives as she does on the crime(s), and when it's well done (as it is here) that's one of the reasons I love to read books like this.

So, now I'm trying to focus on all the relaxing reading I can do during the hurricane. :) It is making me a little nervous, but I think that's more because of the hype than because of what could actually happen where I live. This would, after all, be my second hurricane. I was just out of college when Hurricane Gloria came through Connecticut. I just remember my boss waiting till the last possible moment to cancel work for the day, and how sunny and peaceful it was for a hour or so right in the middle of the storm. I hope everyone will be safe and undamaged!


1 comment:

Kristin said...

I enjoy this series too! Hope you find some good hurricane reading, and that it doesn't get any more stressful than choosing which book to read :)

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson