'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

August 27, 2011

The dismals




      She found herself in low spirits, and tried very hard to shake off this silly fit of the dismals... She thought that even if she didn't succeed in carrying out this admirable resolution she had at least succeeded in hiding her depression from Lady Wychwood, but soon discovered that she was mistaken. 'I wish you will tell me, dearest, what is making you so down pin,' said her ladyship coaxingly.
      'Why, nothing! So I seem to be down pin? I wasn't aware of it -- except wet streets, dripping trees, and nothing else to be seen but umbrellas and puddles always does put me into the hips. I hate being shut up in the house, you know!' ...
      'The truth is, I expect, that I need occupation ... I think I shall embark on a course of serious reading,' said Annis, bent on leading Lady Wychwood down a less dangerous conversational avenue.
from Lady of Quality, by Georgette Heyer

{painting, Twilight after Rain, by Frederick Childe Hassam}





4 comments:

Vintage Reading said...

I love that quote. Down pin indeed! Maybe I should start my Georgette Heyer reading with this novel, I'd been thinking of Venetia ...

Audrey said...

Hi, Nicola! I haven't read that many GHs -four or five. This one was a little less swashbuckling and campy than the others I read - so it might not be representative. But I liked her portrait of a woman refusing to be put on the shelf and I find I love the regency slang, in any event!

Lisa May said...

It also has one of my favorite lines, lifted from Jane Austen, when Mr Carlton calls her a "poor Honey," and she tells him, "Yes, but it is very unhandsome of you to call me a poor Honey!" Some people think this one is too quiet, but I've always liked it - and it's special because it was her last Regency.

Audrey said...

Hi, Lisa May!

Or when he calls her 'my sweet hornet'! I didn't know this was her last Regency, but I do agree with your last sentence.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson