— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

July 1, 2011

Paris in July: Tell My Sister & French Record





Call me when you're coming to town
Just as soon as your plane puts down
Call me on the telephone
But only if you're travelling alone...

Let's make a date to see a movie
Some foreign film from gay Paris
I know you like to think you've got taste
So I'm gonna let you choose the time and place
I'm not as deeply into music as many people are, so it's not all that surprising that my CD collection is still firmly rooted in the '70s and '80s (though I imagine they're not everyone else's '70s and '80s).  But maybe because there hasn't been all that much clutter or interference since then, I'm always surprised at how well I remember the songs and lyrics from my old favorites, and how much I still love them.

Someday I'll go back again
To that green and pleasant land
Between the Channel and the sea
Across the ocean, that's where I want to be

But until then, tie me to the ground ...
Tell my sister
To tell my mother
I'm coming home...
I had to sit in the parking lot and finish listening a few months ago when Terry Gross was interviewing Anna McGarrigle on Fresh Air, about the death of her sister Kate last year and the new CD set that was being issued, as something of a memorial. I loved (and love) listening to them. {Anna McGarrigle's first song was 'Heart Like a Wheel,' more well known because of Linda Ronstadt, and if you don't know them that might give you some sense of their music...but I hope you can listen.}  I love their lyrics and their mix of folky/twangy/ballad-y/heartbreak-y/silly music. I love that they're sisters, and the way their voices fit together. And I love that my secret singing voice {such as it is...and that isn't a lot} seems suited to singing along with them.



Prends ton manteau, tes souliers, tes soucis
L'heure a sonné et seul maintenant
Tu t'enfonces dans la brume, un souvenir, un moment
Triste rêves
Troublant mon sommeil
Et braillent
Que cet adieu
Ce n'est qu'un au revoir . . .
I think French Record (where 'Prends Ton Manteau' is from) is still my favorite. There are some songs in French on the new CD, including some I haven't heard yet. I'm saving the disc of new recordings for another day, mostly because so far I keep starting each song on the first two over to listen to it again.  And in case you're wondering, when you're driving to and from your last obligation of the week, singing along to folky/twangy/ballad-y/heartbreak-y/silly music, some of it in French...

Faut pas croire que j'suis une imbecile
Parc que j'chauffe pas de convertible
La gloire c'est pas mal inutile
Au priz de gas c'est trop penible
...and some not...

This summer I swam in a public place
And a reservoir to boot
At the latter I was informal
At the former I wore my suit
I wore my swimming suit
... that's a very good way to get in the mood for a long summer weekend, and for Paris in July.

So go, leave
You said goodbye
But could it be that you are stalling
Hearts have a way of calling
When they've been true 


 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

2 comments:

Her Royal Orangeness said...

I'll have to check them out! Folksy and French sounds like a great combination. :)

Ellie said...

Thanks for the music recommendations, I will check out French Record later.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson