'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

June 1, 2011

'Look back, look back at me.'


As part of my Elizabeth Gaskell project, this weekend I finally watched the 2004 (?) BBC production of North & South.  I watch Masterpiece Theater almost religiously, so I'm surprised that I don't remember seeing this one. The adaptation followed the book's major plot points faithfully, but it was a lot sexier.

Some of the characterization (Reverend Hale, Nicholas Higgins, Mrs. Thornton, Edith, Fanny Thornton) followed closely on the book, though other characters (Dixon, Henry Lennox) lost all their color. Some of it seeped into Mr. Bell instead (I think it was those checked trousers...).

For all that they took out, I wish the writers had kept the words that Elizabeth Gaskell gives to Thornton and Margaret in the very last scene. They wouldn't have worked, dramatically, but they were such good lines.



.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 


4 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I really enjoyed the miniseries, until it came to the end. I love the ending as Gaskell wrote it!

Karen K. said...

Haven't seen it but my Jane Austen book group is reading it in July, I could not resist checking out a copy when I was at the library today. I'm trying to hold off watching it until I've finished the book but I'm sure I'll picture the Richard Armitage as I read it.

lifeonthecutoff said...

Like you, I watch Masterpiece religiously, and, like you, I somehow missed North & South, pondering, still, how that could have happened. Ah, well, something to look forward to seeing and reading.

I appreciate you accounting for Lady Ludlow in your subsequent post, and have become quite interested in Elizabeth Gaskell thanks to your posts.

Lilacs In May said...

I love the North and South adaptation but agree the ending in the novel was far superior, Mr Bell was quite a departure from Ms Gaskells, quite camp I thought.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson